Nostalgia & History > Depot Friday -Nocona Tex on the Katy

Date: 11/20/20 05:38
Depot Friday -Nocona Tex on the Katy
Author: WrongWayMurphy

That "Cowboy" is actually oilman-philanthropist Amon Carter

Date: 11/20/20 08:08
Re: Depot Friday -Nocona Tex on the Katy
Author: tomstp

Neat photo.   Note the pistol in his right hand is a rare Remington single action.    Nocona was on the MKT line from Denison to Wichita Falls.  It was abandoned in 1970  and trackage rights were obtained over the FW&D from Ft Worth to Wichita Falls.

Date: 11/20/20 08:12
Author: 2-10-2

That car in the background might narrow down the date. Cool photo of Amon Carter, well known for his museum, and including the museum's rail-related book "The Track Going Back". An outstanding selection of historic and more contemporary (a good number of Steinheimer's work) photographs.
2-10-2

Date: 11/20/20 09:40
Author: OliveHeights

Neat photo!  Amon Carter died in 1955.  I'll have to look for that book next time I visit the museum.

Date: 11/20/20 12:04
Author: SD45X

The standing car is pre 1932, so early 30s maybe.

Date: 11/20/20 13:03
Author: kenN

The Pennsylvania had a 10 roomette-6 double bedroom sleeper named Amon G. Carter for use in joint New York-Texas service on the Texas Special.  One source indicated that it was painted to match the Texas Special, but that seems to be unconfirmed.  I only saw it in the '60s, and by then it was in the usual PRR Tuscan Red.

Date: 11/20/20 16:09
Author: tomstp

I looked at that picture again and I believe he went up there to buy new boots from the Nacona boot factory.  Look at the shine on them.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0291 seconds