Home Open Account Help 361 users online

Nostalgia & History > RZorko Audio Sound of the Joliet Diamonds

Date: 03/04/21 10:01
RZorko Audio Sound of the Joliet Diamonds
Author: zoohogger

Sometimes the railroad is just noisy.
Here is a Chicago bound ATSF freight at Joliet, Iliinois in 1972. 
Listen all the way to the end if you can stand it.
Photo is from 1972

Rick Z

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/21 11:13 by zoohogger.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/04/21 10:18
Re: RZorko Audio Sound of the Joliet Crossovers
Author: EL-SD45-3632

Sure you don't mean the diamonds? Sometimes, try whenever a train moves. If you can't stand the "noise", better find another hobby.

Date: 03/04/21 10:43
Author: NCA1022

i don't have a recording of one memorable "wheels on diamonds" noise (except between my ears) but will always remember this one. 

One summer day day in the late 1970's a buddy and I were railfanning in East Dubuque at the BN - IC diamonds, located just west of the IC's tunnel portal.  A northbound BN freight came along - a brace of SD-9s pulling a long string of empty ore cars.  The best part was that the BN filled out the tonnage with about 20 empty 89' TOFC flats at the rear end.   The sound went from virtually continuous banging on the diamonds to "thunk-thunk . . . . . . . .  thunk-thunk . thunk-thunk . . . . . . . . . . thunk-thunk . thunk thunk .... "    A symphony to my ears!

- Norm

Date: 03/04/21 11:13
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Absolutely, these are NOT crossovers here at Joliet, they are diamonds. Great plase to hear that sound as well as Griffith, Indiana in the 60's and 70's.

Date: 03/04/21 11:16
Re: RZorko Audio Sound of the Joliet Diamond
Author: zoohogger

Yes, the photo is from 1972.
I have corrected the title with the word diamond.

thank you all.
Rick Z

Date: 03/04/21 21:50
Re: RZorko Audio Sound of the Joliet Diamonds
Author: UP951West

Tom , that recording at the Joliet diamonds was music to my ears . Thank you !  --Kelly

Date: 03/05/21 05:39
Re: RZorko Audio Sound of the Joliet Diamonds
Author: Bob3985

And this was one reason I loved visiting the station in Joliet back in my days living near there.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0352 seconds