Home Open Account Help 363 users online

Nostalgia & History > Sunset Limited at El Paso - Oct 85

Date: 08/04/22 12:10
Sunset Limited at El Paso - Oct 85
Author: gcm

Westbound at the El Paso stop with ex-Santa Fe Hi-Level lounge 39970 built by Budd in 1956.
A change of crews here as it looks like the veteran engineer is headed to the house.

Gary

Date: 08/04/22 13:11
Re: Sunset Limited at El Paso - Oct 85
Author: northridgeswitcher

Gary.

Great 2 photos.

Thank you for sharing.

Sure miss those cars.   Fortunate to have gotten to ride them on the Starlight a few times.

Take care, be safe.

Northridge Switcher

Date: 08/04/22 14:35
Author: refarkas

Nice look back.
Bob

Date: 08/04/22 17:03
Author: PE-717

I lived in El Paso then and the Sunset Limited was always interesting. From the through 10/6 from New York, to the broken P30CH’s and interspersed El Cap Hi-Levels you never knew what you would see. Great pictures as always Gary.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/04/22 19:23
Author: WrongWayMurphy

That brings back memories.  I sold a pump station for the fire sprinkler system in that Marriott Hotel
under construction in the background of pic 1.  I was in town to commission the package and a part failed
so had to have a replacement sent on a Southwest plane the next day.  I took the construction elevator 
to the top to kill time and was able to watch trains coming and going from both sides of downtown El Paso.

Date: 08/04/22 20:31
Author: UP951West

Wonderful slides !  Thanks for sharing. 

Date: 08/05/22 02:36
Author: RodneyZona

And speaking of change of crews at El Paso, TX.  El Paso based passenger train and engine crews worked west to and from Tucson, AZ  and east to and from Valentine, TX..

Date: 08/05/22 08:35
Author: SPJoe

Nice shots Gary.

Joe

Date: 08/05/22 09:22
Author: DavidP

PE-717 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I lived in El Paso then and the Sunset Limited was
> always interesting. From the through 10/6 from New
> York, to the broken P30CH’s and interspersed El
> Cap Hi-Levels you never knew what you would see.

I think the New York through sleeper ended with the HEP era, but 10-6s came back during high travel seasons in the 1980s to supplement the single Superliner that served LA - New Orleans.

Dave

Date: 08/05/22 09:43
Author: texchief1

Very nice shots, Gary!

RC Lundgren

Date: 08/06/22 03:24
Author: mundo

Crews change at Alpine TX, now for a few years.

Date: 08/06/22 05:25
Author: BRAtkinson

DavidP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the New York through sleeper ended with the HEP era, but 10-6s came back during high travel seasons in the 1980s to supplement the single Superliner that served LA - New Orleans.
>
> Dave
The coming of Superliners to #1/2 ended the through steam-heated sleeper from New York.  I did the NYC-LAX through sleeper a couple of times each way, including the very last westbound run.  Nights in New Orleans were always interesting.  I managed to spend a couple hours on Basin St on 2 of those trips.  The others arrived so late Basin St was not an option. 

I even encountered actor John Astin on one of those trips.  He said he enjoyed 3 days of no communications, although he raced to use the phone at longer station stops. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0437 seconds