Home Open Account Help 269 users online

Canadian Railroads > Golden Eagle Rescue

Date: 01/01/11 21:42
Golden Eagle Rescue
Author: loleta

Golden Eagle Rescue
Walter Atkinson, Local 1923

What does work on BC Rail as a brakeman and a golden eagle have in common? Absolutely nothing you say!
This is my story of "The Golden Eagle Rescue."
It was a cool sunny June morning in 1993. I was working as a brakeman on a southbound coal train. We were following the Mackenzie Switcher from Tacheeda.
I heard a conversation over the radio that the Mackenzie Switcher had hit a golden eagle.
We were about thirty minutes behind the Mackenzie Switcher.
The next radio conversation was from the Tacheeda South Section crew. They informed the RTC that they had caught the golden eagle and that they were clear of the main track at mile 511. The RTC said that he would get in touch with the Fish and Wildlife Branch. He would see if they could send someone out to pick up the golden eagle, and that he would get back to them.
Soon after, the RTC informed the section foreman that the Fish and Wildlife Branch could not send someone out to pick up the golden eagle, they were to destroy the wounded eagle.
Upon hearing the last conversation, I grabbed the radio and informed them that we would pick up the golden eagle and take it into Prince George with us. (I later heard that Engineman Pynn was reaching for the radio also).
We stopped at mile 511, I got out two wool blankets to wrap around the eagle. I could see that the eagle and I were very nervous so I said a short prayer "Lord please help us to calm down." We did.
With the help of section foreman Decker and Conductor Youngston, the eagle and I climbed up into the cupola. Once seated, the eagle on my lap with blankets wrapped around him, I informed conductor Youngston we were ready to go. The eagle sat there on my lap looking around, his head was on the same level as mine, so we kept an eye on each other.
Conductor Youngston tried to get up in the cupola once but the eagle opened his mouth and with neck feathers flared and made a hissing sound. Conductor Youngston decided to sit at the back desk and observe the train from there. (Good thinking Wayne!).
After we arrived in Prince George, Co-ordinator Piwniuk, picked us up and took us to P. G. Veterinary Hospital. We went into the clinic, and waited in line behind a couple of dogs and cats. While waiting I started to rub the eagle's neck, he put his head back so I could rub it even more.
They asked me to put the eagle into a cage because he was so calm with me. I think it was because no one really wanted to handle him.
They gave the eagle some help with medicine and vitamins. They later took him to a bird sanctuary, just outside the city by the airport.
After a few months of rehab, he was released back into the wild where he could finish out his days.
This is the story of the "Golden Eagle Rescue".

(from the “Meeting Point”, newsletter of the United Transportation Union Locals 1778 and 1923 [BC Rail]: Issue 11, June – Aug. 1997.)

Date: 01/02/11 13:16
Re: Golden Eagle Rescue
Author: DrLoco

A great story...thanks for sharing this!

Date: 01/02/11 14:57
Author: Ray_Murphy

Great story. I have sent it on to the members of the nature/hiking club I'm involved with.

Ray

Date: 01/03/11 08:03
Author: Lackawanna484

That's a great story.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0366 seconds