Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Canadian Railroads > Revelstoke...eastbound 100 series train.

Date: 09/15/14 16:08
Revelstoke...eastbound 100 series train.
Author: Train611

Hi,
A recent trip through Revelstoke BC was timely in that the crew of CP8913 East was on the last mile of their trip.
1. As they come off the bridge over the Columbia River and turned onto the yard approach tracks, the engineman was preparing for a stop at the station.

2. The inbound and outbound crews bring their trains past the Revelstoke Railway Museum (on the left of the photo). This museum hosts great artifacts, excellent memorabilia, a great model layout as well as excellent
stories and photos about railroading in Western Canada. A must see if you are close!

3. A clear signal allows the crew to bring the train up to the offices where there will be a crew change, and 8913East will be on its way towards Calgary and points east.

Although changes are being made around the yard at Revelstoke, the men and women continue to operate their trains into and out of this historic railroad town on busy schedule.

They have great skiing in the winter and golfing in the summer...a neat place to spend some time.

Enjoy the images, thanks for looking.

Date: 09/16/14 16:39
Re: Revelstoke...eastbound 100 series train.
Author: rschonfelder

You've had clearer weather than when I was there a month ago. There was smoke haze everywhere in August.

I went to the Museum at the encouragement of a friend and was expecting to see the usual rust collections. It was far from that and I can highly recommend going to it. A very nice touch was how the Museum gets a retiree to sit in the Mikado cab and is there to answer any questions you have and relay stories. An opportunity such as that isn't going to sit around forever. We likely added two hours to our stay just to speak with that gentleman.

There is a nice little display - exhibition style HO layout up stairs and I got the chance to speak with one of the members. He said they are 6 members strong but Patrick Lawson (a Victoria BC resident) has done some major scratch building for many of the structures on the layout. They were excellent models I might add.

Great little town Revelstoke and you can get good coffee's on one of the main streets. Also, wildlife at night.

One warning about railfanning in the area. I could not get over how overgrown my old favourite Roger's Pass locations were. Also, pulling over on the side of the road to park and run across for a photo; you seriously take your life into your hands. The summer traffic is extremely dangerous. They have killed all of the old pull offs at Clanwilliam.

Rick

Date: 09/17/14 20:50
Author: isambard

I agree, the rail museum is a good one. And we also had a most interesting discussion with the retired RRer stationed at the steam loco. Revelstoke is a lovely town, well worth a visit.

Date: 09/18/14 05:40
Author: ns1000

I LIKE Pic 1!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0479 seconds