Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Canadian Railroads > Alta-Mont 2014 around Cranbrook....

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 10/18/14 23:32
Alta-Mont 2014 around Cranbrook....
Author: mtnwestrail

As A.J. noted in his great post ( http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?15,3549121 ) this was the first year the Alta-Mont gathering was held in Canada. One would think after 34 years they would make it up there more often. We really enjoyed the weekend in the Cranbrook area and thanks to local help and guidance we were able to photograph at a number of locations. The light wasn't always ideal, but for spending a little over two days in there area we were pretty lucky.

1) On our way to Cranbrook on Friday we found this eastbound coal empty at Caithness, BC

Paul Birkholz
Sheridan, WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/14 09:17 by mtnwestrail.

Date: 10/18/14 23:33
Re: Alta-Mont 2014 around Cranbrook....

Our plan for Saturday was to follow the wayfreights between Cranbrook / Fort Steele and Golden and we started with the northbound wayfreight out of Cranbrook in the morning.

2) Northbound wayfreight between Doyle and Wasa, BC

3) As Trevor noted in the other thread, the light was hit and miss. Here the light arrived just in time for the wayfreight crossing the Kootenay River near Teepee.

4) The people are most of the reason I continue to attend Alta-Mont each year so I try to include them in many of the photos. Here the pack stalks the wayfreight switching at Skookumchuck, BC.

Paul Birkholz
Sheridan, WY

Date: 10/18/14 23:33

Based on radio traffic, we headed north to set up along Columbia Lake for the wayfreights and another southbound train we knew was in the area.

5) With nothing nearby, it was time for lunch.

6) After what seemed like hours, a southbound coal empty with a 1+1+1 power arrangement rolled by below us.

Paul Birkholz
Sheridan, WY

Date: 10/18/14 23:34

After the passing of the coal train the northbound wayfreight left Canal Flats. We had moved south just a bit to the causeway.

7) Still in shadows, but at least a bit of calm water to provide a reflection.

8) And then the sun came out just in time....

Paul Birkholz
Sheridan, WY

Date: 10/18/14 23:35

A few of us tried to catch the meet of the two wayfreights at Fairmont, but my group was unsuccessful and we headed back south to get into position for the southbound wayfreight.

9) Small train, big country....

10) Southbound on the causeway across Columbia Lake.

11) We worked our way back into Torrent, BC while the southbound did some switching. It turns out they left all the boxcars on the train at Torrent and headed on to Cranbrook with only a single car.

Paul Birkholz
Sheridan, WY

Date: 10/18/14 23:36

Our plan Sunday was to head east towards Fernie and Crowsnest Pass with an eastbound train, but first there was a wayfreight, a potash train, and coal train to pass through the junction at Fort Steele.

12) The wayfreight crossing the Kootenay River

13) And the gaggle of photographers with the same shot.....

14) One more shot of a northbound wayfreight north of Fort Steele while waiting for the two westbounds to work their way into Fort Steele.

Paul Birkholz
Sheridan, WY

Date: 10/18/14 23:37

About midday, the eastbound manifest got out of Fort Steele and we followed it east - slowly.

15) Along the Kootenay River near Fenwick.

16) Still nice and sunny at Galloway.

Paul Birkholz
Sheridan, WY

Date: 10/18/14 23:38

We gave up on the eastbound at Elko and headed on east to check out the valley and see if we could find a westbound which didn't happen until a grain train appeared on the west side of Crowsnest Pass.

17) Descending through the long loop near Fabro, BC.

18) Since it was getting late, we left the grain train at Natal where it was holding for the eastbound manifest. Despite the cloud cover, the colors were still nice.

19) Final shot of the day was at Elko as we just happened to be in the right place at the right time for an eastbound, empty grain train.

Thanks for looking and I know we'll definitely be back to this area.

Paul Birkholz
Sheridan, WY

Date: 10/19/14 00:14
Author: CP9300

Wow, fantastic stuff Paul. Looks like you guys really had a good time. Tough to beat SD's and mountain scenes. Hope to see you this side of the border again. We have lots to show you guys.......

A.J.

Date: 10/19/14 03:57
Author: kgmontreal

Excellent lighting in some of the shots.

KG

Date: 10/19/14 07:39
Author: Train611

Excellent images...some great locations.

Date: 10/19/14 08:12
Author: monaddave

mtnwestrail Wrote:
> 5) With nothing nearby, it was time for lunch.>>

Wow, I count 5 TO members, including the photographer. Nice selection of photos!
Dave in Msla

Date: 10/19/14 08:53
Author: tsokolan

Nice work with the SD's Paul, as well as getting 3 Franz's in one shot!

-Trevor

Date: 10/19/14 10:45
Author: rob_l

Excellent.

Best regards,

Rob L.

Date: 10/19/14 11:53
Author: ns1000

GREAT stuff...!!! Thanks for posting. Well done....!!!!!

Date: 10/19/14 19:13
Author: BCR4619

Nice work! Keep it up!

Chers,
C

Date: 10/20/14 11:23
Author: mapboy

mtnwestrail Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 4) ... Here the pack stalks
> the wayfreight switching at Skookumchuck, BC.

One of my favorite Canadian station names! Lots of great scenes, thanks!

mapboy

Date: 10/20/14 11:51
Author: santafe199

Great stuff, Paul. I especially appreciate the shots of your fellow fans. In #5 that’s my long time pal Dave Franz in the light brown checked shirt. I have yet to meet his nephew Justin and I don’t see his Dad Tim (unless I’m not recognizing him…) I have to chuckle because over the years Dave always seemed to be munching on something during our countless railfan escapades! Look close at the photo I’m shamelessly piggy-backing onto your thread to see what I’m talking about! In this photo taken by future TO member Art Gibson (wag216) photo are 3 other future TO members from left to right: John Arbuckle (The Chief Way, snickering at present company), yours truly (santafe199, ‘returning fire’) & Dave Franz (monaddave, with yet another mouthful of food). These suspicious-looking railfan miscreants are the 3 original members of the infamous ‘70s-80s Kansas Gang’. Yet to make the gang complete are Mike Provine in 1979 (now deceased), Mark Simonson (also deceased) & Bob Helling in 1980. Bob is, of course TO member PRose.

1. Dave Franz (right) chowing down aboard a railfan tour bus in Oklahoma City, OK on April 2, 1978.
(photo by William A [Art] Gibson Jr, “wag216”)

Thanks for letting me piggy-back!
Lance Garrels
sntafe199

Date: 10/20/14 12:47
Author: monaddave

Holy buckets. I'm gonna quit eating for the camera.

LFG, was that a NRHS trip to OKC and El Reno??
DAF

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/14 14:21 by monaddave.

Date: 10/20/14 13:01

santafe199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have yet to meet his nephew Justin and I don’t see his Dad Tim (unless I’m not
> recognizing him…)

Tim has his back to the camera and your photo of Dave looks just like Justin in college except the beard and hair were a little bit more red. Here is a photo of the whole Franz crew posing for a photo.

Paul Birkholz
Sheridan, WY

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0917 seconds