Home Open Account Help 239 users online

Canadian Railroads > Roadside Canada in the Fraser and Thompson Canyons

Date: 05/23/15 20:06
Roadside Canada in the Fraser and Thompson Canyons
Author: eminence_grise

In 2005, an eastbound CN freight is shown on the CP just east of Yale BC in the Fraser river canyon. This is normal operation with the shared trackage agreement between CP and CN between Mission City and Basque BC. Most eastbound freights operate over the CP Cascade and Thompson Subs.

Yale is a significant location in North American history. During the Cariboo Gold Rush of the 1860's, miners travelling from California to the Cariboo mining district found the river canyon impassible east of Yale.  A large number of miners camped at Yale over a winter, and threatened to establish a US State in order to have a highway built to the goldfields.
The mainland of BC was still a British colony at the time.  Hearing of a possible rebellion, the only available British Army unit, the Royal Engineers were sent to Yale. Rather than a battle, the miners and the "Sappers" (military engineers) sat down and agreed to build a road to the goldfields.

This road, with some improvements remained in service until 1961 when the Trans-Canada highway was completed through the canyons.

In the first image, the old highway parallels the railway east of Yale as fishing access.  Commercial trucking was established in the 1920's along this road. In the era before air brakes and power steering, this road was challenging and dangerous to truckers and others.

Tucked away on a back road in Lytton BC is Floyd's Service station, a service station from the pioneer days of highway travel in BC.

Lytton is also of significant historical importance.  It is the location where Simon Fraser spent a winter with the Lytton First Nation, some of whome guided him down the Fraser Canyon until he reached tidewater.  Simon Fraser then claimed all the territory for Britain.  Simon Fraser was born in North Bennington, Vermont, but chose to remain loyal to the British Empire during the American Revolution.

Date: 05/24/15 01:59
Re: Roadside Canada in the Fraser and Thompson Canyons
Author: rschonfelder

Phil, you are worth the price of this subscription.  I didn't know any of that and was especially interested in the fact about Simon Fraser.  Thanks for your motivation to share these bits of information.

Rick

Date: 05/24/15 08:44
Author: britchie

Great stuff, have been through Lytton a number of times overvthe years and have never noticed the gas station.
Thanks for posting

Bob Ritchie
Chase, BC

Date: 05/28/15 18:11
Author: rrpreservation

These are great shots! Thanks for posting them.

Date: 05/28/15 20:33
Author: LKeithR

britchie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great stuff, have been through Lytton a number of
> times overvthe years and have never noticed the
> gas station.
> Thanks for posting

The gas station is across the Thompson River on Hwy. 8--on the way to Lillooet.  Last time I was there--if I remember correctly--the old buildings are gone.  They've been replaced by a new gas bar/convenience store run by a first nations band.  I "think" Floyd is still there but I'm not positive...

Keith Robertson
Langley, BC

Date: 06/05/15 15:50
Author: Sasquatch

Your Eminence,

As Rick mentioned, your contributions here are always of interest and much appreciated.  And your other thread with the car-by-car shots of the Canadian made my day! I'm still cleaning the drool off my keyboard and daydreaming about riding thast train someday.

Thanks for posting your always interesting shots and history, Phil!

-Tom

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0426 seconds