Home Open Account Help 234 users online

Canadian Railroads > New VIA Livery on Budd Cars


Date: 09/11/21 17:09
New VIA Livery on Budd Cars
Author: cn6218

On my trip last month to Montreal, I was able to see the westbound Ocean nearing the city on a Thursday afternoon.  The train is still only making one round trip each week, and has been plagued by chronic lateness.  Number 15 should arrive in Montreal just after 10 am, but on the 26th, they were only nearing the end of the Drummondville Sub in Sainte-Rosalie, still more than an hour from Montreal, at 16:23.  At least it gave me a chance to shoot it in favourable light, and without having to fight morning rush hour traffic to get there (although with all the construction in Montreal, traffic is an ordeal no matter when or where you are trying to go).

In the hybrid Budd/Renaissance consist was coach 8102 in a new (to me) paint job.  This looks like it might be an attempt to more closely match the current green, yellow and grey scheme on the F40s (wrap jobs not withstanding).  BTW, I don't think VIA can take any credit for the green scheme on the Ren cars.  They were already painted that way when the incomplete cars arrived from the UK.  You can still see the faint image of the "Night Star" sticker on the sides of some of the cars too.

GTD



You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!




Date: 09/11/21 17:54
Re: New VIA Livery on Budd Cars
Author: wabash2800

Wow, thanks for sharing. Your government supported inter-city passenger trains are much longer than here in the states. What do you suppose his speed was: about 60+ mph?

Victor



Date: 09/11/21 18:30
Re: New VIA Livery on Budd Cars
Author: cn6218

wabash2800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow, thanks for sharing. Your government supported
> inter-city passenger trains are much longer than
> here in the states. What do you suppose his speed
> was: about 60+ mph?

The Ocean really is an anomaly.  Most corridor train are only 4 or 5 cars, but this one travels about 800 miles, overnight from Halifax to Montreal.  The length is also inflated because of the need for non-revenue transition/baggage cars because the train can no longer be turned in Halifax.

And some might take issue with the term "government supported".  After 18 months with no service, the Ocean is finally back, but only one day a week, vs. 3 days a week, pre-COVID.  Before 2013, it ran 6 days a week.

GTD



Date: 09/11/21 20:56
Re: New VIA Livery on Budd Cars
Author: wabash2800

Thanks.

Approximate speed?

Victor



Date: 09/12/21 04:17
Re: New VIA Livery on Budd Cars
Author: Train29

Are all the Budd cars being given that horrid green and yellow paint scheme...or just the short distance coaches? What's wrong with the current paint scheme on the Canadian? Blue letter board band and silver is a classic. The grey band on the Prestige Cars not so much.

 



Date: 09/12/21 06:09
Re: New VIA Livery on Budd Cars
Author: dan

could it be a buisness class or something?



Date: 09/12/21 06:45
Re: New VIA Livery on Budd Cars
Author: DrawingroomA

The thick yellow stripe was applied to coaches during the recent major refurbishment programme. The HEP-2 Business Class cars have a different colour scheme. Although I was on one a few weeks ago I don't recall  how it differed from the coaches. I was impressed with the interior which is identical to the LRCs except  the overhead luggage bins are much bigger. Of course, the windows are smaller than the LRCs.

I agree that the blue stripe is more classy. From what I have been told, the entire HEP fleet is not getting the new colour scheme, only those being rebuilt/refurbished. Four dining cars are going through a rebuild. So there will continue to be a mixture of Yellow, blue and grey stripes on the Canadian.



Date: 09/12/21 07:43
Re: New VIA Livery on Budd Cars
Author: BigSkyBlue

The F40's look good running back to back.  BSB



Date: 09/12/21 14:53
Re: New VIA Livery on Budd Cars
Author: DrawingroomA

DrawingroomA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
...
> The HEP-2 Business Class cars have a different
> colour scheme. Although I was on one a few weeks
> ago I don't recall  how it differed from the
> coaches.
...
I saw one of the HEP-2 Business Class cars this afternoon. As with the refurbished Economy coaches it has the bold yellow stripe. Between the windows it is a grey colour.



Date: 09/13/21 08:16
Re: New VIA Livery on Budd Cars
Author: joemvcnj

I never much liked the color green. I like blue and yellow better. Maybe it should be red and white to match the Canadian flag. I don't see why they insist on matching REN cars that they are to junk soon anyway. 



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/21 08:17 by joemvcnj.



Date: 09/13/21 09:27
Re: New VIA Livery on Budd Cars
Author: gaspeamtrak

Good afternoon "DrawingroomA ! :)
I was just reading your "quote" on those four Diners  that are being rebuilt down on the Gaspe peninsula.
It seems like they have been down there forever !!! Via gave them 16 million Canadian dollars for the project !
Via could have bought 4 "Brand New" Viewliner diners for that price !
The big question is would CAF have them delivered by now? Only joking! Canadian politics at play here? HaHa...:):):)
I was born in Gaspe and am a Quebecer at heart.
Thanks for any info you can provide...:):):)

DrawingroomA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The thick yellow stripe was applied to coaches
> during the recent major refurbishment programme.
> The HEP-2 Business Class cars have a different
> colour scheme. Although I was on one a few weeks
> ago I don't recall  how it differed from the
> coaches. I was impressed with the interior which
> is identical to the LRCs except  the overhead
> luggage bins are much bigger. Of course, the
> windows are smaller than the LRCs.
>
> I agree that the blue stripe is more classy. From
> what I have been told, the entire HEP fleet is not
> getting the new colour scheme, only those being
> rebuilt/refurbished. Four dining cars are going
> through a rebuild. So there will continue to be a
> mixture of Yellow, blue and grey stripes on the
> Canadian.



Date: 09/13/21 14:13
Re: New VIA Livery on Budd Cars
Author: Ray_Murphy

I looked back through my pictures for the first instance of this green window band scheme on the Budd cars. It was on 30 December last year, on Train 63 (Montreal to Toronto).

Photos taken at the "new" Turcot West.

Ray






Date: 09/14/21 06:24
Re: New VIA Livery on Budd Cars
Author: DrawingroomA

Regarding the four dining cars going through a rebuild, I can't get much information from my usual sources. One diner went in first and it may be completed. The other three went on a special movement. There is a Youtube video of that but I can't find it now. I can't recall the month, but it doesn't seem too long ago.



Date: 09/16/21 05:12
Re: New VIA Livery on Budd Cars
Author: joemvcnj

Did they paint the middle of the HEP-II car's roof black, between Budd's longitudinal ribs ? 



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/21 16:39 by joemvcnj.



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0443 seconds