Home Open Account Help 402 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Sweden: SJ's Newer Semi High Speed Fleet

Date: 11/21/12 23:50
Sweden: SJ's Newer Semi High Speed Fleet
Author: McKey

Since it looks like the SJ thread had a lot of discussion created, here is another subject very close by.

The X55 trains add to the capacity of the X2000 fleet. These Regina trains of Bombardier are first used mainly on the routes radiating north of Stockholm. Watching closely the action it would appear to me that on those routes there is slightly less travellers, and since the X55 is a smaller train than the predecessor X2000, it is a better choice there. Also, with all the hassle around the couplers here is a simplified fixed solution for the issue: just get rid of retracting couplers and large coupler covers and voilà, everything works! What is good for the TGV and Velaro, freezes in the cold of the Nordic countries.

Brand new SJ X55 (SJ3000) unit is here arriving to Gävle, where we visited the National railroad museum with Hannu in August 2012. Most of the time it was pouring rain, so we invented self made camera covers from plastic sacks. Those must have looked exotic, but they worked! I tried a little trick on pics by adding light so it does not look that rainy...unless you look at the background since I did not wish to sacrifice too much quality by adding contrast.

When talking to the X55 personnel about how the train feels to drive they told the X2000 is still preferred, since "the X55 feels like a pendel train", well, definitely, since other Reginas around the class are in fact for regional and local needs.

One major issue separating X2000 and X55 is the tilting capacity: the X2000 tilts, and the X55 does not. However, this is again one of the factors that are not number one choice for the harsh winter weather, so I suppose this was left out for a reason. The initial speed for the X55s is just 200 km/h / 124 mph (semi high speed), but will be raised later to 250 km/h / 155 mph (high speed). Also, since Sweden has decided to build true high speed lines, there will be no need for tilting there.

Enjoy the rainy/sunny pictures!

(I had to upload partly a little smaller pictures, since I again get the message that "Videos can not be longer than 6 minutes :( )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/12 23:51 by McKey.

Date: 11/21/12 23:52
Re: Sweden: SJ's Newer Semi High Speed Fleet

This little vintage railbus took the visitors from the station to nearby railroad museum. Look at the difference in size of the old and the new solution.

Date: 11/22/12 02:09
Author: 86235

And there was me thinking the Swedes were a stylish bunch, how on earth did they come up with something as bland and style-less as that!

Date: 11/22/12 02:21

Hmmm...this must be one of the things that in reality look far better than in pictures, just like the Vectrons of Siemens Mobility.

Date: 11/22/12 03:10

No I think it's just the bland euro-styling which all builders have adopted so that they can sell equipment across the single market. Time was that Swedish trains were distinctively Swedish, in the same way that Dutch trains were distinctively Dutch. No more, more's the pity.

Date: 11/22/12 04:06

Yeah, though the manufacturers must be hooraying the gradual change. And the operators can sell their used equipment around the Europe. Which is good for a number of start ups and growing players on the arena.

For just one look: look at the Flirt train looks around the Europe, how similar all are.

But some light is still seen: The Talent2 (anyway German class 442) definitely looks different and even seems to compete with the other Bombardier product line in Germany. And the Talgos still look Talgos, Swiss new switchers look definitely very Swiss, etc.

Besides, since the British are going the other way from the rest of the Europe, the British trains will look different even in the future, won't they?

Date: 11/22/12 10:24

Ours will probably always be different because of the restricted loading gauge even if, under the bonnet, the traction equipment is the same as elsewhere. Presumably if HS2 gets built we will get a standard high speed train design, unless there is any requirement for it to continue its journey on conventional routes, in which case we'll need another bespoke design like Eurostar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/12 13:51 by 86235.

Date: 11/23/12 14:26
Author: Focalplane

French trains are still distinctively French! Vive le difference!

Date: 11/23/12 21:45

For good and bad they definitely are! Usually for good.

Any sign of the new TGV-2N2 yet? Of course it is very similar looking from the distance as the TGV-Daisy and TGV-Duplex.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/12 21:47 by McKey.

Date: 11/24/12 03:27
Author: Focalplane

John, no sign as yet but as you say they will look very similar from a distance. I will be traveling to Paris Gare de Lyon in mid December which should be a good opportunity.

Date: 11/24/12 07:12

Good luck looking! Sooner or later one of us will see one, and have a camera to snap a picture. Still, picking them out of mostly mixed 600 TGV train sets operating in pools will not be easy, as France is number one super high speed country in Europe.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0724 seconds