Home Open Account Help 334 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Head-on Collision on CSX in VA

Date: 09/22/05 04:46
Head-on Collision on CSX in VA
Author: Railyard

It appears that CSX has had a head-on collision of two trains in southern Virginia. I haven't been able to find much yet, but this seems to be the best that's out there at this hour:

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=92545&ran=26739

Date: 09/22/05 06:01
Re: Head-on Collision on CSX in VA
Author: taskforce3guy

As of 0900 two crewmen were flown out to Norfolk General. Appears to be head-on in southhampton county, near sunbeam rd. and Rt.671 Looks to be AC4400 (couldnt see cab number) and the other looks to be a Dash 8 (again couldnt see cab nimber). One train had about 10 cars, small fire, unkown what type of cars yet.

Date: 09/22/05 06:31
Author: bnsf

All cars are rock cars. These two trains are K959 (Portsmouth bound) and K960 (Weldon Bound). They actually serve a quarry just north of Weldon near Skippers, VA.

Trains usually run with AC44 or Sd-40-2. The accident was just northeast of Boykins it appears on State route 671. This is roughly 15 miles outside Franklin, VA. One train was carrying 60 cars, and the other was carring 30.

Grady

Date: 09/22/05 06:33
Author: bnsf

Here is the link from WAVY TV. I don't know why the cars would have been burning, as they only have rock in them.

http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=3883429

Date: 09/22/05 07:08
Author: fmw

Anyone know if this is dark territory?

Date: 09/22/05 07:41
Author: csx6574

fmw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone know if this is dark territory?

Yes it is...

Al Moran,
The SD80MACKing

Date: 09/22/05 09:13
Author: rbx551985

bnsf Wrote:
> Here is the link from WAVY TV. I don't know why
> the cars would have been burning, as they only
> have rock in them.
>
> http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=3883429

[EDITED as of 2:54 pm EST - Division typed in wrongly on previous post of this]:

This is an apparent MIS-QUOTE by the news media. Another report states that the fire was caused by spilled diesel fuel. My thoughts and prayers are with ALL 6 crewmen, as I am personal freinds with many T&E Service employees on the Florence Division, of which the Portsmouth Sub is a portion.....

Date: 09/22/05 09:40
Author: toledopatch

rbx551985 Wrote:
>
> This is an apparent MIS-QUOTE by the news media.
> Another report states that the fire was caused by
> spilled diesel fuel.

It may also be from faulty or incomplete information provided by emergency services people at the scene. They know something's burning, they're not sure what. They may or may not get it right in the early briefings to reporters.

I'll agree that part of the problem at a scene like this is that the information is developing, the TV stations (in particular) are in a hurry to get the story out, and they'll go with something incomplete and report it as if they know all the facts. But don't be so quick to blame the media for inaccurate details; I've been to quite a few situations where stuff like this was revised along the way by the sources.

Date: 09/22/05 11:53

toledopatch Wrote:
> It may also be from faulty or incomplete
> information provided by emergency services people
> at the scene. They know something's burning,
> they're not sure what. They may or may not get it
> right in the early briefings to reporters.
>
> I'll agree that part of the problem at a scene
> like this is that the information is developing,
> the TV stations (in particular) are in a hurry to
> get the story out, and they'll go with something
> incomplete and report it as if they know all the
> facts. But don't be so quick to blame the media
> for inaccurate details; I've been to quite a few
> situations where stuff like this was revised along
> the way by the sources.

That's exactly what I meant. My bad; I should choose my Post wording a little bit better. You're correct - the news media isn't as "educated" in RR terminolgy as those of us reading TO.com or who work in the industry, thus the occassional slip-up.

Is there any more word on the condition of the CREWMEN involved? That has me somewhat concerned, as I used to drive crew-vans for the guys all over this region of CSX.

Date: 09/22/05 12:56
Author: mobileunit

keeping crews in mind here is a little info.

K959-21 60lds engs 9011 8877 collided with k96021 engs 471 hlcx 8142 at mp 42.43

Date: 09/23/05 03:55
Author: ctillnc

This is the SA line, correct?

Date: 09/23/05 08:14
Crew named in Friday newspaper - LINK at bottom of thre

ctillnc Wrote:
> This is the SA line, correct?

Not quite sure what "SA" means there. This occured near Newsomes VA, about 4 miles southwest of Franklin VA, and not far from the Hercules Chemical Co. which CSX also serves with half a dozen sidings full of hazmat cars. Parallel highway VA 671 follows the RR there, and at least one of the rock hoppers (or gons, I don't know which) actually ended up blocking that highway. (That's a primary, paved 2-lane road that is GREAT for chasing trains between Weldon NC and Portsmouth VA). Two other rural roads, Rts. 650 and 35 were also blocked, according to the news reports.

HERE ARE MORE DETAILS, as released in today's Virginian-Pilot newspaper, of Norfolk:

NAMES OF BOTH CREWS (which, according to reports, are presumably "out of danger")

Southbound crew (EMPTY train):
--CONDUCTOR William H. McCourt, 48, of Richmond.
--ENGINEER Brian R. Burke, 34, of Richmond.
--TRAINEE Anthony J. Griffin of Petersburg. Age not given, but said to be in his late 20s (in the newspaper feature article).

Northbound crew (LOADED train):
--CONDUCTOR Janathan Harris of Henrico NC, according to newspaper, age given as mid-50s.
--ENGINEER Craig S. Shaw, 37, of Roanoke Rapids NC.
--TRAINEE David Priester Jr., 30, of Richmond.

HERE IS A LINK to the Friday newspaper article about it - WITH AN AERIAL PHOTO:
http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=92582&ran=63051

Date: 09/23/05 09:29
Author: ddavies

Yes, SA line.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0748 seconds