Home Open Account Help 370 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Missing the 90's

Date: 01/31/06 15:05
Missing the 90's
Author: NJTMatt

This weekend, it was nice out and it reminded me of the days when I was in school and spent the weekends railfanning in the 90's. That day, Instead of seeing a steady stream of EMD GPs and GE -7s and -8s, it was all modern wide cabs... Now I am not complaining, I had a great time but I just got me thinking about the 90's and how much fun I had in those years. Here are a few pics of mine from then. This is of a coal train at Minilla just West of Mance. Never thought I would miss seeing a solid set of CSX bright future power.

Date: 01/31/06 15:19
Re: Missing the 90's

Here is 135 reaching the summit at Sandpatch ready to decend past the tower. This beautiful day was in July 1996.

Date: 01/31/06 15:32

This was the last time I chased a solid set of Chessie Anywhere. I was visiting my home while in College At Temple University in the Summer of 1998. I chased this D799 from Hagerstown, MD to Chambersburg, Pa on the Real WM Lurgan Sub. It was really nice to see the Kitty's one last time knowing I will probally not see this again.

Date: 01/31/06 15:47

I shot this on 10-22-94 on an excusion from Hagerstown MD to New Oxford, Pa hosted by the Hagerstown Roundhouse Museam. These excusions were priceless to me and allowed me to get shots of the Marc F's and ex BN E's on the ex WM.

Date: 01/31/06 16:12

As a railfan I was told by others not much was happening in Hagerstown, but I felt differently. Being the closest place with trains in my area I made do with the little bit of trains that came and went. Often was rewarded with shots like this one of the power returning to the ex-WM Yard from the W&LE Grain train that just dropped off its cars for the NS. In the late 90's they were barrowing power from the WC.

Date: 01/31/06 16:21

Speaking of the NS, This was the NS before the Conrail Split up. I caught this freight leaving Hagerstown at Rench Rd when I used to ride my bike 20 miles to this location. The effort was worth while as I have shots of long nose forward trains heading down the ex N&W. This was the Winter of 1996.

Date: 01/31/06 16:32

And finally I must complete with something I did not appriciate enough when it was around.... Conrail. Lesson; don't wish something is gone, it might come true. The end of Conrail did. Here is a TV at Cove at sunset in 1996. Time is ticking for Old Blue.... I hope you enjoyed going down memory lane as much as I did.

Date: 01/31/06 17:04
Author: winchester

Great photos, thanks for the memories.Only Chessie kitty's I see now are in HO scale running in my garage.

Date: 01/31/06 18:25

While I am at it I thought i might add a few more... Here is a Coal train on the Old WM lurgan sub at Gilford Springs in August of 1997. Soon this line will be down graded losing its 2nd track and then signals. I think at this point regular through freight R342 was already gone.

Date: 01/31/06 18:33

Here is an another example where Hagerstown had alot ot offer. This is a transfer from the NS to CSX with an ex CNW now UP GP50....

Date: 01/31/06 18:40

Oh and I do miss this..... The Getty Gp9 here taken in the Fall of 1992.

Date: 02/01/06 23:52
Author: casco17

Thanks for the pics! Did you ever get any pics on the MMID (ex-WM) near Thurmont?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0555 seconds