Home Open Account Help 349 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > The Bath & Hammondsport Railroad: ALCOs in Southern New

Date: 02/03/10 17:14
The Bath & Hammondsport Railroad: ALCOs in Southern New
Author: PennRailVideos

Just before the new decade began, Penn Rail Videos took a short, but epic adventure to the Empire State. In this video, we'll see the operations of the Bath & Hammondsport Rail Corporation. We'll begin our day at the Cohocton, NY shops; the temperature was only 14 degrees Fahrenheit. Nevertheless, trains run in all weather conditions, and Penn Rail Videos was on hand to capture this pair of ALCO C424m's, as they head south towards Bath and eventually to Painted Post, NY, where the B&H interchanges with NS. Unfortunately, we will not see that in this video. The B&H Rail Corp. is a sister railroad to the Livonia Avon & Lakeville Railway, which also has ties to the Western New York & Pennsylvania Railroad. If you like ALCOs, then this is a video clip that you won't want to miss.

Also a photo from the trip.
1. Light engine move through Avoca, NY, passing by the old DL&W depot.

Take care,
- Adam C.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/10 20:02 by PennRailVideos.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 02/04/10 07:51
Re: The Bath & Hammondsport Railroad: ALCOs in Southern
Author: Chooch

Excelent video. Just shows you what love and regurlar maintenance can do for a pair of 50+ year old locomotives can do. Im surprised as to how clean they are.

Jim

Date: 02/04/10 07:56
Author: a737flyer

In 1953 my mother bought an old brass kerosene lamp that was in pretty rough shape. She had it electrified, repaired and used it as a decorative lamp in her home for many years. She passed it along to me ten years ago and I did a little checking into the letters on the base...B & H...and fun it was an old Bath and Hammondsport lamp from the early 1900s when it was a line bringing tourists and freight into the lakes region of New York. Nice little piece of history.

Date: 02/04/10 07:59
Author: OneTrackMind

A rail fan video with suspense! I kept thinking, "Cute and even quaint, but what's the purpose of this trip?" How do I become part of such a joy ride? Also, it is an education for me (from CA)to see what rail activity there is at this time of year on the other end of the country. Thanks. I'll keep the name in mind.

Date: 02/04/10 09:11
Author: winchester

OneTrackMind Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A rail fan video with suspense! I kept thinking,
> "Cute and even quaint, but what's the purpose of
> this trip?" How do I become part of such a joy
> ride? Also, it is an education for me (from CA)to
> see what rail activity there is at this time of
> year on the other end of the country. Thanks. I'll
> keep the name in mind.

Well, the control freaks over at the A.Q.M.D. would never let those locomotives run in Calif.They would be scraped for a Genset.I hate Calif.

Date: 02/04/10 14:55
Author: ProAmtrak

Very cool video alright!

Date: 02/04/10 15:31
Author: tvrha

How long is this line? Do they have multiple customers?

Date: 02/04/10 17:15
Author: Milwaukee

What is the reason they had to flag all of those crossings midway through the video? I don't see that any equipment was malfunctioning.

Date: 02/05/10 20:49
Author: SD45X

Great composition. Do they have a hill anywhere you can catch the Alcos working? Without a crossing?

Date: 02/07/10 21:23
Author: P5r24

Incredible Old casting Nathan P5r24 music on Alcos to boot!!!!!!
All to many classics!

Bravo!

Again,
is this really 2010?
Thank you so much,

Gary

Date: 03/01/10 15:31
Author: mmciau

Very good audio capture on this video.

At approx 4.10 and at approx 7.00 of the video is an 'echo' of the locomotive horns in the morning misty conditions - very impressive sound.

Mike

Michael McInerney
Marion, South Australia,

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1764 seconds