Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Wabash Depot Restoration New Haven, Indiana

Date: 06/15/12 22:03
Wabash Depot Restoration New Haven, Indiana
Author: wabash2800

If you get down to East Wayne looking for heritage units, you might want to venture a little east of the yards and see what the New Haven Heritage Association has been up to.

Yes, even though it is close to what folks would say is the former NKP right-of-way, it is the former Wabash New Haven depot. (It's a long story that mostly involves a major track relocation for both railroads in WWII that moved the NE Interlocking west, and I hope to do a presentation on that someday.)

As far as I can figure, this Wabash depot would have had about five paint schemes starting in the 1880s up to 1964. Reportedly, the association used scraped bottom layer paint samples to come up with the colors along with official Wabash paint colors provided by a friend and fellow Wabash Railroad Historical Society member. With only B&W photos to go by and no documentation of what the colors would have actually been, it's a tough call. I will say my friend is not in total agreement on which colors they used, but I think they put more weight on the paint found underneath. My friend believes that they are Wabash colors but not all used in the that combination in the same time period. See the attached B&W.

I highly commend the organization in the time and $$$ spent to restore the depot and believe it is a good representation of a paint scheme before the turn of the last century.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/12 22:28 by wabash2800.

Date: 06/15/12 22:06
Re: Wabash Depot Restoration New Haven, Indiana

More

Date: 06/15/12 22:07

Last one.

Date: 06/16/12 07:51

Well, if parking would be open to the public, this might be an interesting location to watch trains on the Fostoria District. (Yes, I know, if one goes a little west to near the cement plant, one can get both railroads and a view of the yards. (When the overpass is complete, one would have three locations to fan trains.)I might try to get this depot in the same photo as the Wabash heritage unit some day.

Date: 06/16/12 15:40
Author: jmbreitigan

Looks great. Tip of the hats to all involved.

Date: 06/16/12 16:24
Author: swampfox

atta boys and girls to all involved , workers and sponsors. sure wish some of the other depots wabash or whatever were still around. sure hope that chain link fence is all the protection needed.......

Date: 06/16/12 18:45
Author: GPutz

Date: 06/16/12 19:49

Thanks for posting the photo Gerry. I can't wait until they get the station names on. They also plan on a hanging station sign in the front with the mileage to Detroit, Toledo and St. Louis just like Wabash did in the old days.

I forgot to mention that they used private contractor to do the work. I think they have made a commendable job to match all the little details including window frames and gingerbread trim. The contractor's red trailer can be seen in the background and the workers are taking a break in the hot sun in one of my photos. IIRC, the roof was in very bad shape.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/12 20:51 by wabash2800.

Date: 06/16/12 22:21
Author: WabashGuy

Outstanding! Thanks for posting these shots. Yet another classic Wabash depot restored :)

Date: 06/17/12 06:59
Author: OARC

Though I have not seen this Depot for years. I must admit it is a nice restoration of Wabash Heritage. I may not agree on the paint scheme but surely am happy to see it restored. Must take some time to drive over and do a real life view. Never know what else I may catch along the way running down the tracks. Mike IN ohio, Nearby

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0373 seconds