Home Open Account Help 242 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Brake Test

Date: 03/11/01 22:36
Brake Test
Author: Scotian

I'm wondering what a train and train crew does when they perform a brake test before getting a train underway after changing crews. I've heard how they have to preform a brake test before they are allowed to leave the terminal. Just wondering what all is involved in order to be allowed to start there trip. Also do they just have to do this once at the start of there trip, or do they have to do it a number of times. Thanks for any help in advance.

Scotian

Date: 03/12/01 08:30
RE: Brake Test
Author: metallica

To keep going...
The conductor is required to walk the entire train twice on an inital brake test.Once on one side on the set up to ensure pistons and shoes are fully applied.Then if there is room,you can shove back and watch a relase by or start from the rear walking and watch the release by while pulling forward.The same must be done on both sides.
An independant brake test is done when engines are M.U.ed together.You watch the set up,release,set up and bail off on both sides.
Note that all,100%,brakes are required to work upon departure from terminal.
Some rule are different for key trains.
Hope this helps,
MetallicA

Date: 03/12/01 09:41
Author: Scotian

Thanks a lot for all the help you guy's gave me. Now I understand what a Brake Test is. Thanks again!
Scotian

Date: 03/12/01 10:47
Author: ps68

In addition, crews of a train at it's inintial terminal have to make a brake pipe leakage test. This involves making a fifteen pound set then after waiting one minute the brake stand is cut out (this cuts out the pressure maintaing feature). Then the brake pipe leakage for one minute is noted. If the leakage exceeds five pound per minute, the brakes will not be considered in good working order.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0315 seconds