Home Open Account Help 357 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NYC Boxcar

Date: 10/15/01 05:55
NYC Boxcar
Author: wc_4ever

Through Muncie eastbound today on the CSX Indianapolis Line (Big Four) was a freshly repainted CSX boxcar with NYC reporting marks. The kicker was that instead of "CSX" up in the top right corner, the underlined lettering read "NYC". Very cool. Sorry, no number for trace, but this was a great looking car. The shop guys must have been ex-Conrail...

The train had a CSX/HLCX combo up front.

Andy

Date: 10/15/01 12:27
RE: NYC Boxcar
Author: GTWFAN

It is actually an ex-Conrail car. When they are repainted CSX keeps the Conrail number of the car but has NYC as the reporting marks

Date: 10/15/01 19:26
Author: throbbingunits

As a fellow buff told me, the NYC mark stands for
N-ot
Y-et
C-hessie

Date: 10/16/01 08:09
Author: wc_4ever

The boxcar I mentioned has NYC reporting marks.

HOWEVER, the reason I posted was that the car also had "NYC" in 2 foot underlined letters in the upper right of the car in place of the "CSX" letters found on most of these cars...

Andy

Date: 10/16/01 10:22
Author: rbx551985

Andy, did you happen to get the car's NUMBER? If you ever see it again, or any other cars similarly painted, it might help others track it so someone could get a photo and mayabe post it for everyone else to see. This is unique. As far as I knew, all cars acquired from Conrail that are repainted are to receive full "CSX" regular paint. If a car has "NYC" in big yellow marks, that is significant. Good catch!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0343 seconds