Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Free shipping on everything this holiday season

Date: 10/23/14 05:19
Free shipping on everything this holiday season
Author: Lackawanna484

ABC has a report this morning that major online retailers like Amazon are counting on free shipping on EVERYTHING this holiday season. The reporter rattled off a list of companies. One pair of socks? Free. A new drill set" Free.

No mention of limits up to the Monday before Thanksgiving, so it looks like railroads and UPS, FedEx, etc will be in the gun sights this year (too).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/14 05:19 by Lackawanna484.

Date: 10/23/14 05:26
Re: Free shipping on everything this holiday season
Author: SlipperyWhenWet

RRs were begging retailers to not offer free shipping cause they knew it would only mean delays, que the delays

Posted from Android

Date: 10/23/14 05:36
Author: hoydie17

I recall the railroads discouraging "next day" and expedited shipping. Especially so-called 11th hour shipping promises. I don't remember free being part of their problem.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/23/14 06:13
Author: robj

Most of the "little" stuff and lower value I get today is USPS priority and some 1st class. Mostly this is on a 2nd day basis.
No railroads involvement.

This a great example of reinventing the wheel. Post Office had lost most parcel business to UPS, conventional wisdom.
Now packages are the thing keeping them going and is playing a major part in small business commerce.
Gone for the most part is granda ma going to the post office with a lumpy package held together with string and tape.
People use the flat rate packages and small businesses of all type use the service.

Bob Jordan

Date: 10/23/14 12:46
Author: rev66vette

My son works for FEDX and he says that this year will be no different than last year as far as priority deliveries,....that FEDX and UPS will like last year, fall on their A __es and once again be unable to cope with the back-load.

Date: 10/23/14 13:39
Author: garr

Talked yesterday with my friend who works for FedEx. He said Wednesday was the busiest day they have had since the downturn in '08. When asked he said the free shipping from Amazon is the reason. If it is that busy now, imagine December 17-24.

Jay

Date: 10/23/14 23:20
Author: coach

In case you've never tried it: GREYHOUND BUS LINES offers package shipping services. Lots of capacity, with the only difference being you have to deliver and pick-up at your local bus terminal. Otherwise, it's rollin', baby. I've used it, and had no problems.

Date: 10/24/14 21:43
Author: mammothlacrosse

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0347 seconds