Home Open Account Help 256 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS/CSX/FEC/GC weekend action

Date: 12/08/14 15:46
NS/CSX/FEC/GC weekend action
Author: Vanakatherock

Good evening everyone! Starting on Friday, myself and another railfan ventured down to the Kingsland, GA area to be in position for some FEC action as well as a trip over to the Folkston Funnel. Before leaving on Friday, we stopped by the Georgia Central office in Macon to see if there were any units sitting or if they were out and about. Unfortunately, these guys were sitting. Saturday morning we ventured down I-95 south of Jacksonville hoping to catch a few FEC trains. We missed our first target by about 10 minutes as he was already pulling into the yard when we got there. Fortunately, another wasn't too far behind.

1: Friday kicks off with NS 276 sitting in Jenkinsburg waiting on the G15 local to clear the main.

2: After catching 276, we ventured on down to Macon to the GC office and we see a couple of old U-Boats cooling off from the day's work.

3: One more....

Date: 12/08/14 15:54
Re: NS/CSX/FEC/GC weekend action

4: Saturday morning kicks off between Jacksonville and St. Augustine where FEC train 226 is heading north through the fog.

5: FEC 210 comes north through Bunnell, FL a little after lunch with two GEVO's on the point.

6: FEC 210 video action.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 12/08/14 16:00

7: Our final catch on the FEC is train 101 with a pair of Red White & Blue SD70M-2's for power.

8: Later on Saturday, we ended up in Folkston during the Winter Railwatch event. There was a nice, small crowd there for the event and it was nice to finally meet another fellow TO member, Andrew (Florida581). Our second catch in Folkston, since the first was coming through right when we pulled up, is V230-04 with the Spirit of Louisville leading the charge and marking my third catch of this unit.

9: Q155-06 is up next with a pair of UP GEVO's for power.

Date: 12/08/14 16:04

10: One of the two Amtrak catches is the auto train P052. The other, which came before this one, is P098, which I didn't get a shot of since my low light lens was still in the car at the time.

11: Q208-04 comes north with more UP power.

12: The final train of the weekend was T103-06 with a trio of CSX power. The third engine was CSX SD70ACe #4849.

Overall it was one great, but short trip.

Thanks for viewing!

Date: 12/08/14 16:20
Author: florida581

Glad you had a successful little trip, Van. You nailed the shot of the GEVO's on FEC 210!

Andrew

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/08/14 16:35
Author: goneon66

great vid. thx for showing the whole train......

Date: 12/08/14 17:21
Author: Frontrunner

Those FEC boys sure do run some long trains. Are those ES44AC4"s & SD70M-2'S DPU equipped?

Date: 12/08/14 17:29

Frontrunner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those FEC boys sure do run some long trains. Are
> those ES44AC4"s & SD70M-2'S DPU equipped?

Yes they do run long trains. I do not believe the M-2's or C4's are DPU equipped. While their trains are indeed long and heavy, they run on pretty much level ground from north to south so they tend to not have a need for DPU's.

Date: 12/09/14 15:49
Author: ns1000

goneon66 Wrote:
> great vid. thx for showing the whole train......
>
> 66

AGREED....!!! I have to wonder how loooooong it was....!!??

Date: 12/10/14 04:42
Author: rbx551985

Does GEORGIA CENTRAL still run any PULPWOOD cars (the so-called "V-Deck" variety), or are those all gone and now just woodchip hoppers have taken their place?

Date: 12/10/14 12:27
Author: jmbreitigan

In photos #5,7 & 9 you caught the power hooked up elephant style.
John

Date: 12/10/14 12:32

rbx551985 Wrote:
> Does GEORGIA CENTRAL still run any PULPWOOD cars
> (the so-called "V-Deck" variety), or are those all
> gone and now just woodchip hoppers have taken
> their place?

This I am not certain of. I haven't had the opportunity to "Fan" the GC line as of yet. You may be able to watch a few of the recent videos from the GC on YouTube to see if you can get that answer.

Date: 12/10/14 13:55
Author: kd0086

10,000 feet plus trains is the norm for them.(FEC)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/14 13:56 by kd0086.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0663 seconds