Home Open Account Help 173 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Amtrak Turboliner test train in NY

Date: 09/23/02 19:23
Amtrak Turboliner test train in NY
Author: kevin157

This was taken Sunday 9/22/02 at 9:30AM. Will follow up with a couple more pics. My thanks to csxchris for posting his article on the TO news page, tipping me and others off to this CSX/Amtrak event in NY. Kev

Date: 09/23/02 19:26
Re: Amtrak Turboliner test train in NY

Next pic.

Date: 09/23/02 19:29

one more...

Date: 09/23/02 20:54
Author: RDG484

Nice shots. About how fast would you guess it was going?

Date: 09/24/02 04:25

77mph. Had my scanner and track detector was a mile behind it.

Date: 09/24/02 05:21
Author: lakeshorelimited

Very nice pics, Kevin! Thanks for sharing..

Date: 09/24/02 05:52
Turbo...Back in the day
Author: jukeman

Durand, Mi. 1976

Date: 09/24/02 05:57
Re: Turbo...Back in the day
Author: Jaap

almost same but mostly differed.

your picture shows the french built RTG turbo , the rebuilt is RTL III or twice baked Rohr turbo now rebuilt by Super Steel Schenectady.

the RTG's are recognizable by the european style buffers between the cars, I believe all of them were retired and later scrapped

Date: 09/24/02 06:28
RTG's still exist
Author: RDG484

Two RTG II sets are still stored in Bear, DE, and a private individual has an unmodified power car in his back yard somewhere in Indiana, although it is rusted and looks to me to be unrestorable. Three of the RTG's were rebuilt to match the RTL's and put into service along side their newer cousins in Empire Service until one caught fire in Penn Station and burned so hot it welded the wheels to the rails. The two remaining RTG's have not run since.

Date: 09/24/02 06:45
Re: Turbo...Back in the day
Author: wabash2800

As you may know part of a set of the other Amtrak Turbo ("French Turbo") sits in a junk yard along the highway in southern Indiana. Imagine my surprise about a year ago driving along the highway and seeing the loco and a car sitting there in Amtrak paint minus trucks out in the middle of no where. I posted here and was told that the junk dealer bought the cars from Amtrak at Beech Grove and shipped them to his junk yard. I had my girl friend with me and made a quick U on the little 2 lane highway to take some photos. I though my eyes were playing tricks on me. She didn't know what th big deal was. I have some photos of that train in service around Michigan City and Porter taken in the 70's and I'll post them here when I get the time.

Date: 09/24/02 06:53
Author: ellissimon

Location, Kevin?

Date: 09/24/02 07:09
Author: waterlevel

Location is Donahue road in Batavia NY

Date: 09/24/02 14:00

Yup! cp 406 a couple miles west of Batavia. Donahue Rd. is south of Rt 33. A nice place to watch trains. Has an offroad parking area and great views to the east and west. It's very popular with railfans, and some come from as far away as Corning, right Jim?!!! Kevin

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0447 seconds