Home Open Account Help 232 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Richmond, VA archive: Long, heavy, fast coal trains

Date: 02/24/15 09:43
Richmond, VA archive: Long, heavy, fast coal trains
Author: inCHI

It's been a while since I've done one of these posts, but I've got a substantial amount of photo and video of Richmond, VA, circa 2005-2010.

Richmond is rarely shown on this forum, and the unusual aspects of Richmond railroading are even rarer. For example, there is 1+% grade that require pushers in the middle of the city, a 2-mile long trestle, the triple crossing, etc. There is a greater variety of trains on the A-line and ex-RF&P, but I would claim that the more interesting operations are on the ex-SAL and ex-C&O, and they tend to get less attention. Luckily, that is what I mostly focused on when I lived there. I gradually would like to do a number of posts on all these aspects. Unfortunately, during that time, I was using the first DSLR with video, the Nikon D90, and rarely had an external mic to get all the great sound, but something is better than nothing.

For this post, I've picked on feature that always caught my attention: huge coal trains for Newport News notching up for speed before they hit Fulton Hill on the east end of Fulton Yard. Trains for Newport News often get recrewed at DX Cabin, out near Belle Isle and west of the Triple Crossing. Once on the move, they enter the long, impressive viaduct along the James River. But with 80, 100, or 150 loaded cars of coal and only two engines - usually AC's - the engineer would need to get enough speed before the hill to make it with just two units. Sometimes trains stalled and I recall having on DC unit in the consist, for example, being a potential cause for failure on the hill.

So this video shows the impressive show. The photo is just another train accelerating right before Coney Island, the signals and crossover where the viaduct ends (sorta.)

In the video:

1. 150-car train of private hoppers heads east. The train is skipped.

2. Highly unusual: a 200-car train with 4 units heads east. I only saw a coal train this long twice, and I lived with a view of the trestle for over a year. Having an aerial view of it on the trestle would have been amazing. The whole train is skipped, because of length/speed.

3. East of Fulton Yard, this is the fastest coal train I've ever seen. As it comes by it is going a decent speed, but by the time it passes it is really flying along. I think the speed limit is 50mph... but I would really wonder if this was a bit over it. The whole train is shown.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/15 10:08 by inCHI.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 02/24/15 11:59
Re: Richmond, VA archive: Long, heavy, fast coal trains
Author: rbx551985

The last segment with the fast-moving, east-bound coal train, was at Poplar Springs Rd. crossing, about a mile east of the I-295 overpass: there's a slight downgrade for east-bound trains at that point, and sometimes an engineer will let a train coast a bit -- the 50mph speed is allowed on this line.

Date: 02/24/15 13:26
Author: ns1000

I enjoyed the video!!

Date: 02/24/15 13:41
Author: RNinRVR

Nice video of train in my town. It should be noted that the track visible in the foreground of the photograph and the first 2 trains of the video is the NS line to West Point that sees usually one train each way a day as well as a yard job which goes east as far as Sandston as needed.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Date: 02/24/15 17:00
Author: Totallamer

Always nice to see Richmond on here, though it's a rarity... surprising considering how much goes on! Although I work the Seaboard side, I still see Fulton plenty often when we go there to take coal or grain south.

Date: 02/24/15 17:34
Author: tp117

I have to say really good video, and they are. But CSX's Richmond operations are archaic, especially involving AMTK, and it would not cost an absurd sum to fix, just some new crossovers, better alignment, improved signals, some new rail and a much better attitude on CSX'a and AMTK's part. I could plan it all in an afternoon, but of course they would have to approve it and get the funds. I'd think VA would kick in something significant for the passenegr side of the operations given their recent support of passenger services. The total train moves per day on CSX including AMTK and thru freight trains and average coal/grain/oil & empty and significant big locals is around 60 trains a day if not more. Things have not changed a bit since inCHI took these videos. It is a shame.

Date: 02/24/15 20:34
Author: inCHI

Totallamer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Always nice to see Richmond on here, though it's a
> rarity... surprising considering how much goes on!
> Although I work the Seaboard side, I still see
> Fulton plenty often when we go there to take coal
> or grain south.

I've got some interesting videos of the Bellwood Sub to post, as it was among that most interesting places in the area when I was there. I once caught a long Hopewell turn fighting up the grade near dog pound with a grain train from Fulton following directly (couple hundred feet) behind it on the other track. I'll post that soon.

I've also got some of NS down under the triple crossing... more to come.

Date: 02/24/15 22:07
Author: spike5343

> a slight downgrade for east-bound trains at that
> point, and sometimes an engineer will let a train
> coast a bit -- the 50mph speed is allowed on this
> line.

Well to be fair it's a bit more then slight at that location, Def have dynamic braking loaded up by that curve, and usually have to stay in them for about the next five miles or so.

Date: 02/25/15 06:02
Author: agrafton

Cool video, at around 47 seconds a car vanishes that is way cool. Great job of editing, well put together, was the last two minutes
a little long? Well done video.
Alan

Date: 02/25/15 09:54
Author: billroland

Can't wait to see more!

Date: 02/25/15 13:52
Author: rbx551985

agrafton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cool video, at around 47 seconds a car vanishes
> that is way cool. Great job of editing, well put
> together, was the last two minutes
> a little long? Well done video.
> Alan

Maybe Scotty beamed them up....

Date: 02/26/15 09:27
Author: Rivannaco

Deeply appreciate the videos from home turf! Anytime having more than 2 units running up or down the river was a pleasure...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0573 seconds