Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Tropical Depression Cindy-Train Derailed

Date: 06/23/17 07:41
Tropical Depression Cindy-Train Derailed
Author: cozephyr

Briefly caught aerial video (June 23, 2017) of train derailed (railroad unknown) showed containers of an intermodal train off the track and strewn about by Tropical Depression Cindy. Where did this occur?

Date: 06/23/17 11:19
Re: Tropical Depression Cindy-Train Derailed
Author: stevelv

Happened during a flash flood in western PA. Every article on it reads the same
http://www.ktxs.com/news/national/pennsylvania-flash-flood-takes-mans-life-rail-cars-derail/558631510
http://www.wpxi.com/news/national/photos/photos-indiana-county-flooding-june-22-2017/538120957

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/17 11:19 by stevelv.

Date: 06/23/17 11:43
Author: railcity

They are Gas-well trunks trailer not trains like they said on T.V. Station in Pittsburgh, Pa. They need to my facts right in Pittsburgh, Pa.

Date: 06/23/17 15:36
Author: jst3751

railcity Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They are Gas-well trunks trailer not trains like
> they said on T.V. Station in Pittsburgh, Pa. They
> need to my facts right in Pittsburgh, Pa.

Can come one translate into english?

Date: 06/23/17 16:19
Author: JLinDE

My analysis of the photos is that this is not a train derailment by a flood. The only rail lines in Indiana Co. PA that would handle containers would be NS and they would look much better than that rail line. And I see no well cars or spines that handle containers. so I do think these are 40ft marine cons converted to the purposes of the oil fracking industry, Stored near a rail line, and affected by a flood. Even now it seems like 'Cindy' is too far to the west and south Friday night.

Date: 06/23/17 16:37
Author: BCutter

I looked at the pictures in the links and the tanks seem to be frac tanks used in gas and oil drilling. The frac tanks are caught on a rail line so the confusion may arise from that, although there may be some rail cars in the mess as well -- but I may have missed them. This was in Shelocta PA. According to the map on the PennDOT site, both CSXT and NS serve Shelocta. There is a coal-fired power plant there just west of there. Some of the local TO members probably have a better idea. There have been several flash flood warning issued for that area. BTW, the NS has issued another flash flood warning for the Pittsburgh line on the West Slope.

Bruce

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/17 16:38 by BCutter.

Date: 06/23/17 19:54
Author: toledopatch

BCutter Wrote:
> According to the map on the
> PennDOT site, both CSXT and NS serve Shelocta.
> There is a coal-fired power plant there just west
> of there. Some of the local TO members probably
> have a better idea. There have been several flash
> flood warning issued for that area. BTW, the NS
> has issued another flash flood warning for the
> Pittsburgh line on the West Slope.

Anything showing CSXT in that part of Pennsylvania is long out-of-date. NS comes in from the south and an ex-B&O branch that has long belonged to Buffalo & Pittsburgh comes in from the north.

Date: 06/23/17 20:50
Author: emd_mrs1

Those appear to be tank trailers used in the oil/gas industries. they look like a ribbed container with a single rear axle and have plumbing attachments on the front end.

Here is a sample: http://www.skybitz.com/portals/0/Images/SBEF%20Website%20Image%20-%20DSCN2530-2%20-%20Blue.jpg

Michael

jst3751 Wrote:
> railcity Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > They are Gas-well trunks trailer not trains
> like
> > they said on T.V. Station in Pittsburgh, Pa.
> They
> > need to my facts right in Pittsburgh, Pa.
>
> Can come one translate into english?

Date: 06/24/17 05:43
Author: nkp746

They are what we call Frac Tanks- we use them to store the oil from transformers as we work inside the transformer tank or perform other repairs that require the oil to be removed. They are all over this area (I am currently in Homer City, PA) as they are used for many purposes.

Above posters are correct- it is not a train but Frac Tanks moved over to the rail line. I haven't driven up to Shelocta yet, but may today. The line shown is most likely the old Ridge Branch, which is in place but out of service from NS location LOCTA to Creekside, PA where it joins the B&P Indiana Branch. At LOCTA (just off Rt 422 to the west) there is a wye and the NS Keystone branch (ex-B&O/BR&P Ridge Branch) runs south to Saltsburg, PA and a connection with the NS Connemaugh Line. The line also runs into the Keystone Generating Plant.

Google Maps still shows Rt 422 as closed right in this area, so I am wondering if Crooked Creek and/or Anthony Run flooded. I know some back roads to get to the NS line, but not sure how they may be impacted. If I get up there and see anything interesting I will post later today.

The wye is here: 40.650921, -79.285275. Line to the "north" is OOS to Creekside, line to the south is the Keystone Branch and line to the "west" is the "runner" into the power plant.

Rob Bennett
Fairview, PA
http://youtube.com/user/SirDopeyTheBear/featured

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0461 seconds