Home Open Account Help 271 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > A rare WCH Model 'NN' Gate?

Date: 08/16/17 21:43
A rare WCH Model 'NN' Gate?
Author: RedFusee

Not sure if this post will appeal to all railfans but I thought it was unique enough to share with Trainorders.

I found this road crossing signal at Havre De Grace, Maryland today. Here are the coordinates - 39.545983, -76.096989 . A Black & White WOODEN gate and a split gate made by Western-Cullen Hayes / Federal Signal. I know of no survivors like this from where I reside at in the Midwest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/17 21:45 by RedFusee.

Date: 08/16/17 21:49
Re: A rare WCH Model 'NN' Gate?

I talked to two representatives from the J.M. Huber plant. I was informed that only daylight movements using a trackmobile to move covered hoppers were allowed when necessary, maybe three times a week.

Date: 08/16/17 21:51

The builders plate was the same on both sides.

Date: 08/16/17 21:55

I can envision a bullseye 'Stop On Red Signal' sign in the not so distant past...

Date: 08/16/17 21:56
Author: krm152

Definitely interesting and unusual. I would really like to see the gate operate.
ALLEN

Date: 08/16/17 21:58

No LED technology in use here. Can you believe the good condition of the paint on that wooden gate!

Date: 08/16/17 22:01

The cantilever on the east (north) side. I don't ever recall seeing a red flasher on top like that until now.

Date: 08/16/17 22:03

As you can see the paint has weathered off the flashers. I still wonder if the bulleye signs have been replaced.

Date: 08/16/17 22:06

You won't find many motors like that today. Western-Cullen-Hayes heritage proudly emblazoned on those flashers!

Date: 08/16/17 22:11

You insulator collectors are probably drooling over that 'mud commune'. I hear you. One of the reps I talked to said he occasionally sees photographers taking photos of the electrical substation. He also said I was the first to show a interest in the road crossing gates. I think my interest is justified...

Date: 08/16/17 22:17

I am not from this area and may never see this again. If you live close I hope you get to see these gates in operation. The reps told me that J.M. Huber gets several covered hopper loads delivered every week to another track to the west of this location, then they use their trackmobile to move the cars inside the plant for unloading.

Thanks for looking, Karl

Date: 08/17/17 06:12
Author: GPutz

Thanks for this interesting story. Gerry

Date: 08/17/17 07:30
Author: jmbreitigan

Hopefully your post will generate interest to get photos or video of the crossing gates in action. Amazing what you can find when looking around.
John

Date: 08/17/17 10:03
Author: funnelfan

That certainly is a rare kind of crossing gate, especially the folding one! Probably more rare than a operating wig-wag signal.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 08/18/17 12:59
Author: BNSF-6432

Very interesting indeed! I was unaware of any of these in operation other than maybe a museum.

PQM

Posted from Android

Date: 08/18/17 17:02
Author: Kimball

I don't believe the short one folds. It is just short because of the overhead wires. The one on the plant side of the street is clearly long enough to reach over to the short one.

Date: 08/18/17 18:05

It folds. That's why I included the photo of the cable going over the long pulley. In another photo you can see the red lights going down towards the end of the gate.

Posted from Android

Date: 08/21/17 12:59
Author: Kimball

Thanks - I see it now...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0652 seconds