Home Open Account Help 239 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Snowy Schuyler Street, NYS&W, Utica, NY (Part 2)

Date: 12/13/17 08:22
Snowy Schuyler Street, NYS&W, Utica, NY (Part 2)
Author: ut-1

I photographed New York, Susquehanna & Western's UT-1 in Utica, NY again this morning, also under snowy conditions.

Here are a few photos:

1. Switching in the Utica yard, 9:58 am.

2. Southbound on Schuyler Street, 10:22 am, with 2 loads bound for Sangerfield, 23 miles distant.

3. Another view.

Date: 12/13/17 08:23
Re: Snowy Schuyler Street, NYS&W, Utica, NY (Part 2)

A final view:

Date: 12/13/17 09:46
Author: RevRandy

Love the street running on Schuyler Street - not just as access to the main line down to Binghamton, but also supplying Saranac Brewery (aka West End Brewery, Utica Club Brewery, Matt's) with their grain products.

The rails are temporarily paved over at the Court Street crossing of Schuyler Street each year for the world-class 15k Boilermaker Race, from Utica Boiler works to the Brewery.

Date: 12/13/17 15:15
Author: ns1000

Thanks for the pics!!

Date: 12/13/17 19:12
Author: robj

Nice set, great to see.

Bob

Date: 12/14/17 08:45
Author: LyonBrook

ut-1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I photographed New York, Susquehanna & Western's
> UT-1 in Utica, NY again this morning, also under
> snowy conditions.

Wonderful photos, they bring back memories. Among those memories is street running in Binghamton. This would mean that the Binghamton-Utica line had street running at both ends. Or perhaps my memory is confused, and I'm thinking of the relatively few times when I rode south from Utica rather than up from Binghamton, destination in either case Oxford.

So the question, was there also street running in Binghamton?

Date: 12/14/17 11:13
Author: train1275

There was no street running in Binghamton. The tracks came south parallel to Route 7, now I-88 and crossed State Road at the north end of YO yard.

At the south end of YO, tracks wyed and went east around a curve and crossed the ERIE at BD cabin to access the DL&W main tracks into East Binghamton and main line east. D&H also came across the S&U from their Bevier Street yard at BX to get to Liberty Street Yard and access the Erie. LV RR had rights through here also for their Sayre - Binghamton trains.

The other track went west and crossed the ERIE at Liberty Street Tower near the current (ex-Erie) QD shop (track now gone but blended into the Erie to get to the Erie mains west to Hornell) that once lead S&U passenger trains into Binghamton DL&W depot.

Date: 12/14/17 11:20

Thanks for the detailed answer, train1275!

LyonBrook:

Would you mind giving a few recollections of your passenger experiences on the Utica line? Service ended in April 1950; I’d love to read about your experiences.

Thanks!

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0693 seconds