Home Open Account Help 286 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Recent Chicago shots (CN, CP, NS)

Date: 02/19/18 17:06
Recent Chicago shots (CN, CP, NS)
Author: inCHI

There was nearly a foot of snow in Chicago the other week, but I had poor luck catching much in it, and it melted pretty quickly. Some passenger shots are here: https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,4491292

1. The only freight I saw in that big snow is CP 281, routed as usual via A5, heading north near Edgebrook. It had a typically big train with mixed freight and racks that tends to be about 10,000 ft.

2. It snowed on Saturday and I came across a CN train headed south on the BRC and tried to catch it. That never worked. But I did come across this BRC bridge with an ad that I've never seen.

3. Farther south, I still can't get ahead, and it is time to give up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/18 17:06 by inCHI.

Date: 02/19/18 17:09
Re: Recent Chicago shots (CN, CP, NS)

On another day, I came across the NS local that serves the ADM mill near Racine Ave, which will soon close and relocate. Despite that, for the first time I saw this local with two engines, and 22 cars. I'm a bit confused about the maneuver that got the power on this end, which is opposite of the switch. At this time the conductor was checking the cars as the train slowly pulled past, and it seemed like they would back in the passing track next. With an EOT on the end, it seemed like the whole train had been backed up to here.

Date: 02/19/18 17:50
Author: ghemr

Where's the bridge in photo #2? Is photo #3 the BN connection?

Date: 02/19/18 17:53

ghemr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where's the bridge in photo #2? Is photo #3 the BN
> connection?

Had to look it up, the bridge is over Jackson, and the cross street is Kenton.

And yes, #3 is the BN connection near Cicero Yard. I was hoping to get a bridge shot but was several minutes too late.

Date: 02/20/18 01:45
Author: Railfan2

Great photos. In this day and age of the amount of shootings in Chicago , it takes guts to take nite pictures let alone day ones

Date: 02/20/18 09:01
Author: PatternOfFailure

Railfan2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great photos. In this day and age of the amount of
> shootings in Chicago , it takes guts to take nite
> pictures let alone day ones

You just need to be able to recognize where you can hang out and where you shouldn't. It's not that difficult.

Date: 02/20/18 09:23

Yes, I would suspect that if you aren't very familiar with Chicago, it would be hard to know from the media presentation what is going on. This is an enormous city with hugely different areas and conditions.

Date: 02/20/18 11:39
Author: kevink

Nice catch on the NS local.

Date: 02/27/18 00:06
Author: pbouzide

I lived in the city for 35 years, and the danger is overblown. Although I would stay very alert at Jackson and Kenton lol.

The other locations are quite safe.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0377 seconds