Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS 36T in the lower Lehigh Gorge on 6/15

Date: 07/17/19 18:25
NS 36T in the lower Lehigh Gorge on 6/15
Author: OCtrainguy

On June 15th,  I was up in Jim Thorpe and rode the Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway.  At my son's suggestion, we booked the caboose ride, which allows up to six people.  So he gets full credit for this.  We thoroughly enjoyed the sights and the ride and I'll have to post those shortly. 

So we leave Jim Thorpe, cross the Lehigh River, pass the new R&N signals (CP Coal) and enter the lower Lehigh Gorge State Park.  And then we came to a stop.  The conductor soon advised us that we had stopped to allow a NS train to pass us, even though each train has its own track.  I do know they stopped to allow everyone to take in all the scenery once the train passes.  

As we weren't sure which direction the train was headed, my daughter was on lookout in the cupola (where she happily stayed for the whole ride) and my son and I on the back of the caboose.  The train was the 36T, from Binghamton to Allentown.  As it turns out, it was an all-EMD consist of a pair of SD80MACs leading a SD60E.  Such a nice surprise for our train ride.  Here are my photos.

The first three photos are of the two SD80MACs.  

A few more photos and a video to follow... 

Date: 07/17/19 18:29
Re: NS 36T in the lower Lehigh Gorge on 6/15

Continuing the photos...

4.  Photo of the SD60E
5 & 6 - One of the interesting things of the 36/37T trains is that is has intermodal on it and at times, there are different blocks mixed in with the regular freight.  

The trail at left is the former CNJ ROW.  Got my son's video to share, with his full permission.  That will follow.  

Date: 07/17/19 18:38

As the 36T approached, I asked my son about his positioning so we didn't bump into each other.  He let me get the photos and he took this video.  As they say, timing is everything.  

We really enjoyed ourselves and the weather was really nice for most of the day.  I would definitely ride the caboose again and the family concurs with me.  Hope tyou enjoy the photos and video!

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 07/18/19 01:20
Author: ClubCar

Excellent photos and video and I'm glad that you enjoyed your train ride.  That track that you were on sure needs some new cross ties.  I hope that they replace them soon.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 07/18/19 02:32
Author: dschlegel

You guys got pretty lucky!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/18/19 16:31

ClubCar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Excellent photos and video and I'm glad that you
> enjoyed your train ride.  That track that you
> were on sure needs some new cross ties.  I hope
> that they replace them soon.
> John in White Marsh, Maryland

While on our bicycles, we did see that there are ties marked for replacement.  

Date: 07/19/19 13:49
Author: CP8888

The track you are on is ex- LV?  Bike trail is ex-CNJ? 

Date: 07/19/19 18:12
Author: MC6853

36T is Bingo-Allentown now but that change didn't take place until July 1... This one was on the old routing, and came from Buffalo...

Date: 07/19/19 18:18

CP8888 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The track you are on is ex- LV?  Bike trail is
> ex-CNJ? 

That is correct.  

Date: 07/22/19 17:38
Author: VFPNSFAN

Great post!  Two SD80MACS, SD60E, mixed freight, auto racks, and a few containers?  NICE CATCH.  I rode the caboose probably about ten years ago.  My kids were 3 and 6 then.  The conductor kept an eye on my kids the entire ride making sure they were safe, especially on the platform.  GOOD STUFF!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.061 seconds