Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Where the Erie used to roam Akron, Ohio...PRR on 14N

Date: 06/01/20 17:02
Where the Erie used to roam Akron, Ohio...PRR on 14N
Author: Forever-Railfan-45

From May 31, 2020 we have CSX K676 passing the former Quaker Oats Company Silos in Akron, Ohio. Back in the day the Erie, B&O, PRR, C&O, and other RR's all ran thru here. When I went to the University of Akron as a student these silos were part of the Quaker Square Hilton. I graduated in 1989 from there and even back then one could still catch Chessie System power, B&O and etc. There were numerous tracks here back in the sixties, seventies. During the eighties most of track was gone leaving the two tracks that you see now. They are part of the CSX new Castle Subdivision.  The former silos are now property of the University of Akron as they are dorm rooms.  I believe the Erie was the RR that used to service the Quaker Oats company. The Erie also had a yard here but that was on the west end of this picture; about half mile from where I am standing. I got my pictures and left as the night before our police department had the Akron Police Department tac channel on and they had dispersed gas three times; at one point the field commander had authorized munitions if bricks and rocks being thrown at officers did not cease and desist. Love this area of Ohio as a lot of railroad history is here. The CN locomotive is passing underneath the former Erie "JO" signal bridge. The old Akron, Canton and Youngstown office building still stands on Exchange and Main... 

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/20 19:56 by Forever-Railfan-45.

Date: 06/01/20 17:08
Re: Where the Erie used to roam...PRR on 14N

PIcture number four is from May 29 at Alliance, Ohio of 16G, number five also from May 29 is of the NS 415 empty coke from RIver Rouge, Michigan going back to Mingo Junction, Ohio. They usually load at I believe Wierton or Follansbee, West Virginia. Number six is of the NS 25V RD 70.8 on the Cleveland Line in Atwater, Ohio...

Date: 06/01/20 17:16

Number seven is of the NS 24M with all empty wells; first time I have ever seen this train with empty wells. NS 20E/26E/294 were also empty due to the ramps in Chicago being closed due to the riots. There is a video of some "protestors" unloading a moving intermodal train tossing out  televisions, dishwashers, and etc. Last two are of the NS 14N from Atwater, Ohio RD 70.8. Thanks for looking and stay safe....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/20 17:18 by Forever-Railfan-45.

Date: 06/01/20 20:24
Author: exopr

A nice series. Your pics in Akron remoind me of EL and B&O days.   Thanks for sharing.

Date: 06/04/20 16:01
Re: Where the Erie used to roam Akron, Ohio...PRR on 14N
Author: EL833

Nice shots Carl. Here is a shot from '77 taken from the same Mill St bridge, not too far off your angle. Train is on the former Erie.

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0415 seconds