Home Open Account Help 218 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > A Couple From Overview Bridge

Date: 11/15/20 18:35
A Couple From Overview Bridge
Author: NS6707

Yesterday, me & onblock caught H18 & H53 entering Enola Yard in Enola, Pennsylvania.

Pic 1: H18 enters Enola with 11Z's set off from CP WYE.

Pic 2: H53 enters Enola with 37 cars from Northumberland.

Gage Bishop
Lewistown, PA

Date: 11/15/20 19:26
Re: A Couple From Overview Bridge
Author: Gonut1

I guess this what the Old Timers called the "Iron Bridge"? I spent a few hours a couple of times there, probably 22 years ago or so. My daughter lived in Enola when she first got married. We were there for a wedding shower so I had my younger son who was 6 or so, funny, had he his wedding just last Sunday, to watch for some hours while the ladies did their thing. We hung around the bridge and at the boat launch above Rockville Bridge. I videoed some stuff. The older son 12-13 years old became a man and opted out of train watching. He played video games and ate hot wings with my future son-in law and his brothers! The earlier time the daughter and her husband moved from their apartment to a townhouse, both in Enola. Both boys were with me that day and the rail  action was better. While having kids with you tends to prevent interference from police and nervous citizens, the kids demand attention. Sort of a wash. When I took the family to Otisville NY to catch the C&O 614 it was better in some ways because the entire population of NY & NJ were out to see it. No police, no crazy Nimbys. But bored boys do things like pick up rocks and throw them and run around in circles and do other things to drive the wife absolutely nuts! We all survived and I got what is one of the best videos ever. 614 and 22 cars accelerting after climbing the mountain and coming out of the tunnel. Thank you Ross Rowland if you are reading. We went back the next year to see 614 running with the Chinese engine. We waited for what seemed forever on an overhead bridge at the former Juction at Howell's NY. Another agonizing day not just for me but also Ross as they struggled with a bad load of coal. The finally came by us just before October's sunset but stalled and stopped just after going by. Now the kids are adults and railfanning is mostly done out my front door at whatever is left after PSR. Long trains and fewer trains.
Just more time spent sitting at the crossing in town when these monsters roll through.
Go

Date: 11/16/20 08:37
Re: A Couple From Overview Bridge
Author: aehouse

Gonut1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess this what the Old Timers called the "Iron
> Bridge"? 

This is from the replacement span for the old "iron bridge."  Built about 20 years ago, it features well-positioned camera ports in the heavy-duty chain link fencing atop the bridge structure.

Art House

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1022 seconds