Home Open Account Help 349 users online

Model Railroading > now what did i do wrong

Date: 04/28/06 20:16
now what did i do wrong
Author: highhood

what does it mean when you atemp to put a 4 didgit address for a engine into your dcc controler and all that comes up is < slot=max >. aparently i punched a buton i should not have . can any one tell me what i did wrong and how to fix it

Date: 04/28/06 20:28
Re: now what did i do wrong
Author: SlwApprSlw

More information please: AKA manufacture, etc.

If it's a Digitrax Chief system, the default slot setting is 22. Check the manual for the correct op switch to throw. This will allow up 120 slots. Hope this helps.

Cass Telles
"Slow-Approach-Slow" - 'Go by way of the B&O'
Railroads of NW Ohio
http://www.trainweb.org/rrnwoh

Date: 04/28/06 22:07
Author: pennsy3750

Slot Max is what happens when there are too many engines in the system. I don't know the details, but basically it overloads the command station.

When you finish using an engine, clear it out of the system. On a Digitrax DT400, you do this by hitting "LOCO," and then hit "DISP." Note that simply picking up another engine/consist from the same throttle will not clear out the old one. If the engine is in a consist, break up the consist. Its a pain but if you do it you won't get slot max.

Date: 04/28/06 23:00
Author: Charles

pennsy3750 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Slot Max is what happens when there are too many
> engines in the system. I don't know the details,
> but basically it overloads the command station.

Does this happen on all of the DCC systems, or on just the Digitrax system?

Date: 04/28/06 23:22
Author: ESPEE5318

Not a issue on NCE must be a Digitrax thing. Joe

Date: 04/28/06 23:41

pennsy3750 how do i know what engines to remove from my controler [ systemm ]. i have 18 units on dcc and was not aware that i was suposed to erase them after plulling the units from the track. how do i know if i have sucesfully disp the unit. any chance of talking to you by phone about this

Date: 04/29/06 07:19
Author: RioGrandeFan

Gee, don't have to do any of these things on NCE or Lenz. I'm not sure about stack size on NCE but Lenz has a 255 loco stack size. Sure it has to be cleared out maybe once a year at most. If your core loco group is fairly small you never have to clear out the stack. You also don't give your loco back to the system when you're done running it with NCE or Lenz.

With all of the extra steps involved using Digitrax I'm amazed that people keep buying this complicated mess. Don't buy into something just because it is the number one selling system!!

I'm sure Bruce will lay into me but after having tried all three major systems and comparing all major systems, I'm sorry but Digitrax is difficult to use compared to NCE and Lenz. Heck half the time people that own a Digtrax system are confused with it and when I try to run on their layout it is a struggle to get things going.

I work in a hobby shop and have sold hundreds of Lenz systems and never once has anyone had a problem using it. I've got people from 20-80 using the system with no problems.

Flame away Bruce....

Rio Grande Fan
Denver, CO

Date: 04/29/06 08:15
Author: brfriedm

Riograndefan,

Not sure why you need to comment on Digitrax since you do not use it nor know it. Since 99% of your comments on Digitrax have been incorrect in the last 18 months, any info or comments from you are meaningless.

Highhood, the Digitrax Chief comes from the factory with 22 slots available for locomotives or consists. If you do not drop existing locomotives off correctly(page 67 in your manual), the slots remain filled. You can change the opsw setting 44 and it opens it up to 120 slots which is plenty.(it takes about 1 minute to do that) See page 120 in your manual. Also let me point out that Riogrande told this very board about a year ago that his hobby shop that he works at was NOT an authorized Digitrax dealer but could buy the stuff from distributors for customer requests if needed so of course he trashes Digitrax. How's those old cordless phones working for Lenz wireless dude?

As always, stating the facts and signing his real name.

Bruce Friedman

Late....

PS - Riograndefan, if you want to come to my house and see a real Digitrax demonstration, the invitation is open. Contact me off list. I live in Delaware.

RioGrandeFan Wrote:
> Gee, don't have to do any of these things on NCE
> or Lenz. I'm not sure about stack size on NCE but
> Lenz has a 255 loco stack size. Sure it has to be
> cleared out maybe once a year at most. If your
> core loco group is fairly small you never have to
> clear out the stack. You also don't give your loco
> back to the system when you're done running it
> with NCE or Lenz.
>
> With all of the extra steps involved using
> Digitrax I'm amazed that people keep buying this
> complicated mess. Don't buy into something just
> because it is the number one selling system!!
>
> I'm sure Bruce will lay into me but after having
> tried all three major systems and comparing all
> major systems, I'm sorry but Digitrax is difficult
> to use compared to NCE and Lenz. Heck half the
> time people that own a Digtrax system are confused
> with it and when I try to run on their layout it
> is a struggle to get things going.
>
> I work in a hobby shop and have sold hundreds of
> Lenz systems and never once has anyone had a
> problem using it. I've got people from 20-80 using
> the system with no problems.
>
> Flame away Bruce....
>
> Rio Grande Fan
> Denver, CO

Date: 04/29/06 08:23
Author: jasonlowe

Having only 22 slots open on a $400 "pro level" system is insane. Yes, you can change it, but why should you have to?

Date: 04/29/06 08:32
Author: brfriedm

That's fine and I DO agree with you. I have sent emails to Digitrax stating that very same statement but it does take a minute to change. Its just not that big of a deal. You guys are just looking for things to trash Digitrax. The system is awesome and I can back it up and demonstrate it. As I have stated many many many times, all the DCC systems are good and all have their Strengths and Weaknesses. It's what you do with this hobby that counts to me.

Bruce Friedman

jasonlowe Wrote:
> Having only 22 slots open on a $400 "pro level"
> system is insane. Yes, you can change it, but why
> should you have to?

Date: 04/29/06 09:39
Author: fbe

Pushing two buttons to open up an additional 100 slots is such a chore. All that additional labor must really cut into Digitrax sales. I know it is likely beyond my technical abilities........

Of all the things in the world to whine about.......

Date: 04/29/06 10:33
Author: CJ

I'm on your side Bruce...I love Digitrax. As far as the slotting is concerned, it's really a minute detail and a minor inconvenience at best.

Chris
K8CRQ

Date: 04/29/06 12:25
Author: pennsy3750

> pennsy3750 how do i know what engines to remove
> from my controler [ systemm ].
At the Penn State Model RR Club, we clear EVERY engine or consist out of the system EVERY time we finish using it. We've had issues during public shows with the dreaded Slot-Max in the past, so we made clearing the engines out of the system a habit. We haven't had the problem since.

> how do i know if i have sucesfully disp the unit.
Look at the display at the top of the throttle. You'll see the engine number displayed in the LCD screen. Hit LOCO and then hit DISP. The engine number will disappear, with "SEL" in its place. This tells you that you've cleared the engine out of the system and the throttle is ready to pick up another one if you so desire. If you're using wireless throttles you need to plug in to do this.

>any chance of talking to you by phone
> about this
Not during Finals Week, sorry. This is when we at Penn State all want to kill ourselves ;) Next week is possibility though.

Digitrax is not without its annoying quirks, but I like it, and I plan to use it when I get around to building the "dream layout." (Guess what railroad will play the starring role!) My only real complaint is that the instruction manuals are the Achilles' Heel of Digitrax, as they leave something to be desired. The Slot Max issue is a small annoyance, that's all. If having to clear out my engines is the worst thing that happens to me I'll be in good shape.

Date: 04/29/06 12:33
to Bruce Friedman and another bruce from the digitrax

thanks again for the 1 on 1 help you have given me over the last 30 days. i wam up and runing as of about 0700 this morning and of course am now aware that units can not simply be removed from the layout but have to be disp out first. simple thing but i admit i am still learning. RioGrandeFan i am very happy with my system though aparently i still am very ignorent with it.

i will later today as soon as i return from the post ofice [ yes bruce i found your decales ] be atempting a hardwire of a decoder and installing lights on the units also.with my eyesight this could be interesting

Date: 04/29/06 15:04
Author: BEAR8216

Some people just need to blow off steam on something all the time. What ever happened to the fun side of model railroading. I am confined to a wheelchair due to M.S. for the rest of my life, and I don't complain about why or anything else. Just keep a smile on my face and stay happy. Enjoying this hobby after being out of it for 25 years, I now share it with my 5 year old son. I would love to have a nice DCC system, but living on Social Security Disability , we barely have enough to pay the bills. So, quit the whining, and enjoy life and the hobby, before it is to late. Only my 2 cents worth....Bear

Date: 04/29/06 16:23
Re: Bruce
Author: RioGrandeFan

Bruce,
I expected the flames from you but you don't know my extent of Digitrax knowledge and you don't seem to be listening to me.

I may not own the Digitrax system but have played with it extensively numerous times without bias to give it a fair chance. Certain steps and processes are much easier on other systems than on the Digitrax system. Granted you end up at the same place and you accompish the same goal but the road to get there is easier on other systems. If you'd try a Lenz or NCE system you'd probably understand where I'm coming from.

Doing simple comparisons with how to do different tasks with all three systems, simple fact is that doing these tasks with Digitrax is more difficult (maybe easy to you) but more difficult than other systems. Since you've only played with one system you think that what you're doing is easy since you don't know any different.

I started with Lenz but will admit that NCE is easier. If I didn't have so much $$$ invested in my Lenz stuff I'd switch to NCE in a second. I'm still thinking about doing so anyway. I'm not creating my comments on simply "just cause". I'm not saying I dislike the system "just cause". I'm saying I dislike the system because I've played with it and found that I can accomplish the same thing on a different system faster or with less steps. I've given all systems a fair chance and just found Digitrax to be confusing and complicated, again this is from unbiased research.

If Digitrax worked as easily as Lenz or NCE I wouldn't dislike it. I don't just look at something and instantly dislike it. I dislike it because it isn't as easy as other systems.

Oh and those Lenz XPA cordless wireless phone controllers work 100% perfect. Never had any issues, instant response and they work wonderful. One of the best wireless controllers I've ever used. I also like the CVP wireless knob throttles but they have about a 1-3 second delay in response. A friend is even building his own wireless knob throttles that work off of the XPA phone technology. They are great and something I will definately have. I use them every time we have a formal operating session. Have you played with one and experienced an issue?

Maybe you can answer a question about a DT400 radio throttle. I had my loco called up on the throttle with it plugged in and it ran. When I unplugged the throttle it lost the loco and I couldn't get it back even when I plugged back in. I even followed the same steps as the first time when I got it to work. What's up with that?

I'm not trying to piss you off Bruce or create tension. I'm just spelling out the facts from my research of the systems. Just my unbiased review is all. Maybe you should do an unbiased review of your own of all three major systems and see what you come up with.

If I make it to your area sometime I'll make a point to stop by. Maybe I'll bring my Lenz system and we can do an on the spot comparison.

Lee Ryan - Rio Grande Fan
Denver, CO

Date: 04/29/06 17:45
Re: Slot Car Racing
Author: BarstowRick

Are your sure the unit isn't for Slot Car Racing? Humor me, sub-conscientiously you really want to race trains...right? I have no idea what the problem-o is. However, I think the DCC experienced are on the right track to solving your problem. Language and lingo...you have to learn a new vocabulary every time you buy something new. Oh well!

RickH

Date: 05/02/06 17:31
Re: Bruce
Author: WrongWayMurphy

RioGrandeFan Wrote:
>> Oh and those Lenz XPA cordless wireless phone
> controllers work 100% perfect. Never had any
> issues, instant response and they work wonderful.
> One of the best wireless controllers I've ever
> used. I also like the CVP wireless knob throttles
> but they have about a 1-3 second delay in
> response.

I have the CVP wireless and operate with 6 wireless
and two tethered throttles. I do not experience any
delay in response when operating the knob, and my
model RR is in two rooms with the wireless antenna
in one room and no delay in operation in either room.
If you have the CVP in burst mode, that might be the
problem when you have used these - take them off burst
mode and you won't have any problems.

I don't like Digitrax due to the crazy amount of
buttons on the wireless throttle, but then I like
to live by the KISS principle.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1098 seconds