Home Open Account Help 215 users online

Model Railroading > Pennsylvania Budd Sleepers

Date: 02/22/13 16:59
Pennsylvania Budd Sleepers
Author: BaylorMax

Good afternoon,

Did the Pennsylvania ever own any Budd 11 dbl bedroom sleepers? I remember seeing what I think was a Pennsylvania stainless steel sleeper with a black roof set out in Billings. This would have been in probably 1964 - 1965 or so. I suspect it was in Yellowstone Park tour service.

If not, would the Silver Rapids still been stainless (unpainted) but with a black roof by that time?

I have an opportunithy to buy the Broadway Limited model of the Silver Rapids with a black roof lettered Pennsylvania. I'm jsut curious whether I can use this for the NP as a tour sleeper in the early 60's.

Thank you!

Steve Barkley, MMR

Date: 02/22/13 22:16
Re: Pennsylvania Budd Sleepers
Author: Carondelet

I think that one of the Budd stainless 10&6 was rebuilt as an 11 bedroom car. I will do some further research.

Date: 02/23/13 15:30
Author: retcsxcfm

The PRR Budd 10-6 sleeper "Elberton" was damaged in a wreck in Florida in the 50's.
It sat for years until the insurance investigation was complete.Later it
went to Budd and was rebuilt into a 11DBR,same name. It was assigned to one
side of the "Broadway" and was the only SS LW car on the train.

Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.

Date: 02/23/13 19:11

Has any company made a model of this sleeper?

Old Official Guides show that the North Coast Limited carried an 11 dbl bedroom sleeper from Chicago to Billings during the summer when Yellowstone National Park was open. The sleeper that I saw would fit with this set out.

Thank you!

Steve Barkley

Date: 02/24/13 10:33
Author: retcsxcfm

BaylorMax Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has any company made a model of this sleeper?

No

UJ

Date: 02/25/13 19:25
Author: Topfuel

As noted in the above posts, the car you remember seeing may have been the Silver Rapids (ex-CZ 10-6) or the Elberton (ex PRR 10-6 rebuilt to 11 bedroom car, originally built to SAL specs for joint PRR/SAL Florida service). These would probably still have been under Pullman lease at that time so could have shown up almost anywhere extra sleepers were needed during the mid to late '60's. And both cars would likely have had black painted roofs during that period. Even though tour cars were somewhat more likely to be post-war all-bedroom or 4-4-2 cars, (though pre-war lightweights were frequently seen as well) it is certainly possible that the Silver Rapids was the car you saw in Billings. The 11 bedroom car that BaylorMax refers to from the timetable would most likely have been one of the Illinois Central 1953 PS-built smooth-side 11 bedrrom "B" series cars that were leased to the NP during the summer months.

Date: 02/28/13 09:06

Thank you all, again.

Now I need to find a Silver Rapids. I think I know who has one for sale.

Steve Barkley

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0489 seconds