Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Model Railroading > roads and scenery question

Date: 10/06/13 06:49
roads and scenery question
Author: steam290

Ok, so I've been looking for something to use to make roads and sidewalks. My railroad is small and folds up using hinges and pulleys to reveal my work area underneath, so I'm nervous about my roads and plaster bits cracking when I raise and lower the railroad. I also want something I can sculpt and model. I thought about using modeling clay because you can really work it, but since it never hardens and is not really paintable that doesn't seem to be my best option. I bought some air dry clay, but I think that probably won't stick to the table and probably will crack pretty badly. I bought some sculpamold, but it has the consistency of oatmeal, which i wasn't expecting. Also, it claimed to be moldable, "like clay", but really is NOT very much like clay at all. Then of course I'm left with joint compound and plaster of Paris. I fear either one of these may crack, but also, neither of them are moldable.

I'll explain why I liked the idea of clay. You could carve sidewalks into it, make curbs by rolling it and draw street drains and such into it. Does anyone have any better ideas?

Date: 10/06/13 08:20
Re: roads and scenery question
Author: Stottman

IN that instance, I would use styrene...

Plaster/Joint compound type stuff takes allot of effort to get to look smooth.

Date: 10/06/13 08:59

is there a way to get sculptamold to look smooth and not so chunky?

Date: 10/06/13 13:17
Author: Stottman

You can sand it, but its the paper dust in it that makes it clumpy.

Date: 10/06/13 14:41
Author: warrenpweiss

Tack down some 1/4" hardware cloth so the plaster has something to hold on to. Use a piece of sheet metal to form the plaster so there is a slight peak in the middle of the roadway. All kinds of options are open, but I think your basic problem will be solved with the hardware cloth underneath.

Date: 10/06/13 15:19
Author: wjpyper

To make your sidewalks, use the cardboard backing from a scratch pad or the inside of a cereal box. It is exactly the color of real concrete sidewalks.
Bill Pyper
Salem, OR

Date: 10/06/13 17:25

Thanks guys! Those ideas help! I appreciate it.

Date: 10/06/13 17:48
Author: unclebob

After a major hail storm this summer, I have tried experimenting with some shingles using both sides (n-scale) for roads, but have not been happy unless I'm trying to get a newly paved asphalt look.

Next I'm going to try the Woodland Scenics "road system" that you use the paving tape to make your roads, and then they have a mix to fill in with.

I had thought about using foam putty, as I use that to do contours and it will smooth out rather nice, but could get expensive doing a lot of roads. But I might use that to do any sloping of the shoulders after using the road system.

Mike

Date: 10/06/13 19:28
Author: UP6936

We have found with the shingle method you have to paint it and then you can weather it. It has been quite successful for us on our modules and is really tough when we move them from shows. We have even painted lines and all sorts of stuff on them.

Scott Phillips
Sherman Hill Model Railroad Club

Date: 10/07/13 22:15
Author: Clarence

Mix some black paint into the plaster so it is tinted dark gray. That way if it does chip it isn't that glaring white color. I think that craft store 99 cent paint is good enough for this. I've seen this done but haven't actually tried it yet. I think it will work. Worse case is it doesn't set up or is too dark and you're out one mixing bowl worth of plaster.
Clarence

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0376 seconds