Home Open Account Help 379 users online

Model Railroading > Current Project

Date: 07/31/14 04:53
Current Project
Author: funnelfan

I finally dug into a project last night that I've been chomping at the bit to get started. I'm super detailing a Atlas Trainman GP39-2. Since I failed to get a one of these when they first came out years ago, it took me a while to acquire one at a decent price. But I still put the project off for a few months while I did other projects. But having cleared a few projects off the desktop recently finally opened the door for this project. I quickly found some photos to work off of on the internet, and decided to go for a 1990's look with no beacon or all weather window, but both sunshades. The project went really quick, thanks to the micro-mark mini chuck and a power drill. I turned the shell into swiss cheese without breaking any bits in a matter of minutes. These trainman models are similar to the Athearn Geeps that came out in the 1980's, except they have a much better drive and a much higher retail price. I hate to think of how much $$ in detail parts I applied to the model that was already fairly spendy model. But there are no other good options for a GP39-2 short of Brass. I got most of the detail parts on so far, but still have some work to do on the underframe (air filters, fuel tank details). Then will come paint and decals. With any luck, it will be ready to go by Friday night for the club.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 07/31/14 05:49
Re: Current Project
Author: VAmidlandrr

I'll second those mini bit holders from Micromark. They save you a lot of aggravation on the grab iron holes. I did a GP39-2 for my Virginia Midland last year and it took me about 5 minutes for the holes instead of an hour. No broken bits either. The green and black of the BN is my favorite paint scheme. That's one reason why my Virginia Midland has green as one it's colors!

Great work Ted!

Shannon Crabtree
Fredericksburg, VA
Virginia Midland Railroad Blog

Date: 07/31/14 06:35
Author: RailThunder

What RPM do you all use? As slow as it will go and beeswax?

Date: 07/31/14 07:47
Author: dcmkris

Nice job Ted! Looking good there those Micro-mark chucks are invaluable I use it in a Dremel so I can grab it with my finger to stop it while lining up a hole. On low speed!

Those 39 drives are nice my brother replaced his Athearn 38-2 drives with those so he didn't loose all the work he did in the 90's on super detailing out D&H units using Athearn BB units.
The 39's are nice but he replaced their handrails with Atlas GP40-2 one's to get the thinner cross section.

Kris

Date: 07/31/14 08:37
Author: P5r24

RailThunder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What RPM do you all use? As slow as it will go
> and beeswax?

A Dull bit will cause some of that.
A new or sharp bit will make beeswax
in plastic as well if turned at Way to high an RPM.
What moto-tool or mini drill press do you have?

I use my variable speed Dremel at it slowest speed
setting with good results. Not sure what RPM its turning however.

Gary

Date: 07/31/14 08:56
Author: RailThunder

Thanks Gary. I actually have three different Dremels. Sounds silly, but super hand when I was laying track for drilling spike holes and holes for Tortoises. Next question, on a lot of instructions it may say the size bit of say #78 etc. Since we're drilling with a motor tool should we use the next size smaller since the drill might take a little more of the sides at speed? I'm anxious to give this a try as you can tell!

Date: 07/31/14 10:00
Author: EL-SD45-3632

RailThunder Wrote:
> Thanks Gary. I actually have three different
> Dremels. Sounds silly, but super hand when I was
> laying track for drilling spike holes and holes
> for Tortoises. Next question, on a lot of
> instructions it may say the size bit of say #78
> etc. Since we're drilling with a motor tool
> should we use the next size smaller since the
> drill might take a little more of the sides at
> speed? I'm anxious to give this a try as you can
> tell!

I use # 80 bits however, not in a Dremel tool.

Date: 07/31/14 15:30
Author: ESPEE5318

Have been drilling with a Dremel with foot control (down to a #87) for many many years. The only thing I do with a pin vise is dimpling class lights for MV's.

Date: 08/01/14 06:39
Author: rschonfelder

Can anyone give us a link to the product in Micro-Mark's catalogue? I'm interested in this too even though I've always been pretty good with a pin vise. I tend to get my #80 dull before they break.

Rick

Date: 08/01/14 14:40
Author: VAmidlandrr

Date: 08/01/14 15:50
Author: calsubd

ESPEE5318 Wrote:
> Have been drilling with a Dremel with foot control
> (down to a #87) for many many years. The only
> thing I do with a pin vise is dimpling class
> lights for MV's.

Any chance of a pic of the class lights installed, I did 1 engine and wondered if it was worth it, TIA, Ed

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 08/02/14 19:58
Author: osp1729

This is another option to drill HO scale grab irons. I use Micro Marks deluxe drill press. The chuck will easily secure a #80 bit. With the variable speed on this drill press I can really slow down the bit so as not to melt plastic. Here is the link.

http://www.micromark.com/microlux-benchtop-variable-speed-mini-hobby-drill-press,8283.html

Shawn

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0596 seconds