Home Open Account Help 278 users online

Model Railroading > SP modular fun

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 11/18/14 11:32
SP modular fun
Author: bxmoore

last Saturday saw the second outing of my HO-scale module, and I'm pleased to say that it ran well. The scenery's coming along too, but lots of stuff still needs to be done.

Appended is a video of two geeps and a caboose running the length of the module on the main line. There's much more footage on YT.

The first picture is of British loco engineer Rob Fern (who's also part of the KM SP 9010 restoration team at Niles Canyon) in charge of bringing in the Quisling Turn.

Picture 2 shows Martyn Read switching a reefer extra.

As always, thanks for looking.

Brian Moore
Plymouth, UK

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 11/18/14 11:36
Re: SP modular fun

1: Two empty newsprint boxcars being picked up.
2: California Airframe Parts Co.
3: SP MoW. You can see that the buildings have to be bedded in, and switch stands are also required.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/14 11:37 by bxmoore.

Date: 11/18/14 12:38
Author: superchief73

Very Nice!

Javier Cervantes
Castle Rock , CO

Date: 11/18/14 12:54
Author: ChrisCampi

Well shoot, that looks fantastic Brian!

Chris

Date: 11/18/14 12:58
Author: californiarails

Fantastic looking! The setup seems to have great operational potential. Thank you for sharing.

Jonathan

Date: 11/18/14 14:16
Author: calsubd

californiarails Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fantastic looking! The setup seems to have great
> operational potential. Thank you for sharing.
>
> Jonathan

I agree !

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 11/18/14 15:36
Author: Chooch

Nice, very nice.

Jim

Date: 11/18/14 16:32
Author: Olympian-Hiawatha

I like it. Good work gentlemen.

Date: 11/18/14 19:15
Author: SW1500

Looks good as always. I always enjoy your posts....thank you.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/18/14 22:07
Author: Splitrock323

Great set up. Is it FreeMo type? You have a great feel for a SP town and industries

Thomas G

Date: 11/19/14 01:05

Splitrock323 Wrote:
> Great set up. Is it FreeMo type? You have a great
> feel for a SP town and industries
>
> Thomas G

Thank you, everyone.

Thomas - it's a set-up using modules built to agreed build and electrical specifications under the auspices of the British Region NMRA.

Brian

Date: 11/19/14 05:07
Author: SPDRGWfan

It appears that the modules are set up to in a linear end to end configuration - so you can only run trains back and forth. Do you set them up with corner modules so you can run trains in a full circle too?

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 11/19/14 07:11
Author: PHall

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
> It appears that the modules are set up to in a
> linear end to end configuration - so you can only
> run trains back and forth. Do you set them up
> with corner modules so you can run trains in a
> full circle too?
>
> Cheers, Jim Fitch

End to end is the normal British configuration. Very, very few have a loop.

Date: 11/19/14 10:22

PHall Wrote:

> End to end is the normal British configuration.
> Very, very few have a loop.

Is the end to end convention due to space limitations? From my visits to the UK and Germany, I am aware, as a rule, space is much more limited than the US. It does appear from the photo's above, it appears as if modules could have been set up in a loop configuration to let 'em run too.

My wife and I are heading over in December and plan to visit a local club in the area where she is from (near Newcastle/Geordie-land!) I believe they do some American train modeling there too.

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/14 10:27 by SPDRGWfan.

Date: 11/19/14 13:49

We've no requirement to run stuff round and round. Most of us got bored with that sort of running, after a while.

We use the modules to do Dispatcher-controlled live operations with JMRI, using two storage yards at either end of the set-up. The club also owns simple single-track "stretcher" boards, straights and curves, to give space between modules.

Brian

Date: 11/19/14 14:46
Author: rschonfelder

You've applied British modelling techniques of presentation to an American outline. Well done. One of the questions above indicates the guy just doesn't get it.

I've always liked the British concept of building a scene and running models nicely weathered and I do not count weathering as running a moving train past an open airbrush which it looks like some people do. The only downside to British modelling is how they have screwed up both O gauge (5' and not 4'8") and this OO stuff run on HO track (4'1" in OO).

The scenery is nicely done speaking in terms of technique.

One question, how does a Brit Rail Driver get involved with the Niles Canyon group? - with reference to his involvement on the KM restoration.

Rick

Date: 11/19/14 15:00

rschonfelder Wrote:

> One question, how does a Brit Rail Driver get
> involved with the Niles Canyon group? - with
> reference to his involvement on the KM
> restoration.
>
> Rick
His first loves are the BR Western Region diesel hydraulic locomotives introduced in the early sixties here, for some of the same reasons that SP tried them out where you are. He knows a lot about them, and the skills are very transferrable. If you look on YouTube, you'll see him at the controls of SP9010 as it runs along, being pushed by a black widow SD9. He also was instrumental in securing the trucks for SP 9010 in France.

Brian

Date: 11/19/14 19:09

bxmoore Wrote:
> We've no requirement to run stuff round and round.
> Most of us got bored with that sort of running,
> after a while.

Most people get bored running in circles that's true, but at shows where some modular groups run, the full circle allows spectators to watch full trains running around. Even I like once in a while to run a full train and that usually requires a loop of some kind.

Anyway, you have some great looking modules which has the flavor of southern California!

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 11/19/14 19:28
Author: sp5623

rschonfelder Wrote:

> One question, how does a Brit Rail Driver get
> involved with the Niles Canyon group? - with
> reference to his involvement on the KM
> restoration.
>
Rob is a valuable resource having been involved with British hydraulic locomotives for many years. He has come to work with us a number of times and we have a great time when he comes over. The "Maybach" tattoo on his arm says a lot about his knowledge. To answer your question, he contacted us via the SP9010 web site.

Howard

Date: 11/19/14 21:15
Author: SPB

Thanks for the photos of ESPEE model railroading in the UK. The modular layout is well done. Kudos to all.

What is the station board name on the SP depot? I could not make it out in the picture.

Nice to see Rob running on the layout too. He looks a little puzzled with the DCC controller, but is not when at the controls of his UK locomotive or running 9010 or WP F7 918 on the Niles Canyon Railway. Always nice when he visits us.

Gerry Feeney

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0766 seconds