Home Open Account Help 388 users online

Model Railroading > Some recent layout progress

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 11/26/15 18:35
Some recent layout progress
Author: CNW

Over the last several years, I’ve been rebuilding part of my layout.  I’ve taken a prototype modeling approach to building Eyota, Minnesota as it appeared in the mid-1970s era.  Digging up the information has been challenging, but the layout scene should be pretty close to the way it was.  Many thanks to the Chicago & North Western Historical Society folks for much of the information.

The structures and Grizwold signals are all scratch built following the prototype.  I built the depot and the signals, I contracted a friend to build the elevators and bins.  The Sanborn trainorder signal is from a North Western Models kit.  I added a mechanical linkage to make the blades operate from controls on the fascia.  The switch stands and ground throws are by Details West.  I added operating targets, which rotate when the switch is thrown from controls on the fascia.  The whole scene is on benchwork 21” wide and about eight feet long.  There are still a few little details to add but for the most part it’s finally finished.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Dennis
  1. Train 482 waits for the operator to copy new orders.
  2. Looking west from Center Ave.
  3. Train 482’s power (should have brought the weed-whacker along

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/15 19:38 by CNW.

Date: 11/26/15 18:37
Re: Some recent layout progress
Author: CNW

4. Train 482 departing
5. Train 495 arrives with a C425 leading at Center Ave.
6. 495 again west of the depot

Date: 11/26/15 18:50
Author: dlh

WOW - excellent work. The static grass is perfect.

Date: 11/26/15 18:57
Author: Frisco1522

That is some fantastic model work and photography!  Excellent.

Date: 11/26/15 19:06
Author: wpdude

You  had me at the AMC Pacer, but having never been to Eyeota, you have done an amazing job of creating this scene! Just bought a house with a layout room, and in need of this sort of inspiration!

Date: 11/26/15 19:25
Author: atsf121

Excellent work, the static grass helps make the rest of your great details create such a realistic scene.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/26/15 20:51
Author: inCHI

Absolutely stunning modelling, and as always, the trackwork is an excellent detail.

Date: 11/26/15 21:41
Author: warrenpweiss

A b s o l u t e l y   f a n t a s t i c.  

Date: 11/26/15 21:44
Author: MrMRL

Lovin' it! With all the lush green grass and nicely modeled wet spot on the dirt driveway, is this a late spring scene between thunderstorms?

Mr. MRL

Date: 11/26/15 22:31
Author: BNSF-6432

What an amazing scene!

PQM

Date: 11/27/15 05:42
Author: JUTower

Incredible! Beautifully done. 

Date: 11/27/15 07:18
Author: iaisfan

I'm running out of superlatives for your work Dennis!  "Masterful" comes to mind.  I love the subtle touches, like the aforementioned mud puddle and the rust stains beneath the utility meters on the depot.  Outstanding!  Your track and static grass are beautifully executed too, as usual.

With the inclusion of a prototype town, I'm wondering what you have up your sleeve for your layout.  Are you moving toward modeling a specific prototype segment of the CNW, or was Eyote just a one-time opportunity to include a favorite location? Does it sit where Otto was on the layout plan you shared several years ago?

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA
www.iaisrailfans.org/../Sub4WestEnd

Date: 11/27/15 07:59
Author: Frisco1522

What makes all of this so outstanding and believeable is that it is NOT overdetailed with clutter.  I've always believed that the best model scenes are subtle and not very "busy".
This is a scene that in your mind, you would drive up to the tracks and watch the work being done and take your photos.
In other words, this is excellent modeling on display.

Date: 11/27/15 08:14
Author: theshoe

Wow, Having worked on that line from 78 - 86 off and on can't say the track age ever looked that good !!  But then again back in the day I'm sure it did.  Very nicely done !! Are you doing any other towns along there ?

Date: 11/27/15 08:19
Author: wabash2800

Thanks for sharing your nice work again Dennis. I was hoping for another video....

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 11/27/15 09:02
Author: algoma11

Everything about those photos and the layout is outstanding.
Thanks for sharing photos !

Mike Bannon
St Catharines, ON

Date: 11/27/15 13:45
Author: rschonfelder

Your name (on TO) is always one I click on because you've posted some extremely nice stuff in the past.  I recall some beautiful video clips where you dubbed over real train sounds of a whole train going by and not just a loco in a can which is what we normally get.

Rick

Date: 11/27/15 15:05
Author: DKay

Beautiful stuff Dennis.Love your attention to detail.
Regards,DK

Date: 11/27/15 17:05
Author: BostonMaine

I repeat the many well dones.

Date: 11/27/15 19:06
Author: tracktime

Stunning, beautiful and yes indeed -  Masterful work!

Cheers,
Harry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/15 00:50 by tracktime.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0765 seconds