Home Open Account Help 374 users online

Model Railroading > Tsunami 2 Athearn OEM issue

Date: 10/26/18 17:33
Tsunami 2 Athearn OEM issue
Author: wheel_slip

I picked up a Athearn (newest release) EMD GP40-2 a couple weeks ago (Union Pacific ex-SP locomotive 1381). First off this was a crap shoot purchase because I had been following the social media posts about issues with damage related to either shipping or poor quality control. I was pretty worried based off the large amount of people discovering issues with their models. I rolled the dice and ordered my model from MB Kline and attached a request to inspect the model for damage before shipping it to me. They answered the request with a promise to do so and I received my model with NO DAMAGE!

I was a happy camper. The model is awesome. I was a bit confused that it still has the upper mars light while numbered and painted in this UP paint scheme, but after doing a little research, the real 1381 retained its upper gyra light even after getting ditchlights and the latest UP paint scheme... Did I mention the model looks great?

Here's where the love affair stops. 

The model is equipped with Soundtraxx's Tsunami 2 decoder and the programming of the decoder seems to have an issue. I asked about it on Athearn's Facebook page and received NO reply, so maybe someone out here can help. The front gyra-light seems to be wired to FX6 on the decoder. There is NO animated lighting effect associated with it when it is lit, its either on or off, and it only lights in reverse. Strange. The rear ditchlights on the locomotive also light in reverse when the locomotive is in reverse with the F6 function activated, but there are no wires going to the rear ditchlights on the FX6 pad on the decoder.

What I'm trying to do is set up F6 to operate in either direction with a gyra-light effect separate from the rear ditchlights. Does this make any sense?

Thanks!

Andy

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/18 17:43 by wheel_slip.

Date: 10/26/18 19:44
Re: Tsunami 2 Athearn OEM issue
Author: fbe

Start by going to the user manual included with the model and work through the F settings and CV settings. If that doesn't help there will be a link to a downloadable manual from Soundtraxx for Athearn units which will get deeper into the Tsunami2 programming.

The Tsunami2 decoder is a 1 off from a factory standard decoder. If you get lucky Athearn will have built off the Soundtraxx software but I have not found that to be the case.

Perhaps a call to Athearn support or a live chat would solve the challenge.

Keep in touch.

Date: 10/26/18 20:08
Author: fbe

This is what Athearn has to offer for you to browse through.

http://www.athearn.com/Articles/Article.aspx?ArticleID=2747

Date: 10/27/18 06:07
Author: mmosher

https://soundtraxx.com/factory/images/athearn/pdf/Genesis/gp40-2_ATHT0204.001.pdf

FX3 output is config'ed for gyralight in forward only & on F5
FX4 output is config'ed for gyralight in reverse only & on F5
FX5 output is config'ed for emergency gyralight in both directions, not on any Fx button, triggered when loco is given emergency stop command
FX6 output is config'ed for dyno light in both directions & on F6

There is a defintion for this loco in JMRI DecoderPro.

If that is not what you are seeing then maybe a decoder reset is needed.

Michael Mosher
Millville, NJ

Date: 10/27/18 08:08
Author: tomstp

I have had problems with Tsunami 2.  Bought 2 units to install in my F units.  had to send 2 out of 4 back due to defective electronics. 50% success rate is terrible.

Date: 10/28/18 12:04
Author: dal3294

Tsunami 2 is junk, the motor control isnt smooth on any of the ones I own either. Wish athearn would stop using them and switch to Loksound like every other manufacterer. 

RN

Date: 11/03/18 09:23
Author: Frank30

It took Athearn a while to switch from MRC decoders (now that is J***) to SoundTraxx, and almost forever to replace incandescent
bulbs to LEDs, so I wouldn't start holding my breath just yet.  And I wouldn't call Tsunami "Junk".
Frank30

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0565 seconds