Home Open Account Help 350 users online

Model Railroading > No need to wait for DODX flat cars

Date: 08/01/20 14:09
No need to wait for DODX flat cars
Author: tomd

There is no need to wait for the 40000 series 6 axle flat HO scale cars.

Got tired of waiting for those pre-announcements to be deliver, if ever.  I found what turned out to be a great model on Shapeways (designer is Bantam Scale Industries).  The designer also created the needed roller bearing buckeye trucks.  I have no connection to the designer, just happy that he did these two models.    Custom decals have been created, printed and applied. To finish the car, just need to complete the brake gear. 

Both of my models will eventually have the trident missile carriers on them. I will be working on those carriers next.

Tom Daspit
Morgan Hill, CA
Tom's Trains

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/20 14:20 by tomd.

Date: 08/01/20 14:14
Re: No need to wait for DODX flat cars

Some in progress shots of the cars as it they get finished.

1 - Car as it comes from Shapeways,  The frame needs to be cut away from the base. did not have a large enought weight for the base, so filled in with nickel cover lead shot
2 - One car painted and the other in progress
3 - Buckey trucks prior to assembly and painting

Tom Daspit
Morgan Hill, CA
Tom's Trains

Date: 08/01/20 14:17
Author: rschonfelder

There was a nice brass kit done by a fellow in England.  He posted here on TO several years ago.  I have one that I would be willing to sell if anyone has the interest.

PM onlt.

Rick

Date: 08/01/20 15:25
Author: bearease

I know this has been discussed in past threads, but what did you use to treat or prep the material before painting?

Date: 08/01/20 16:51
Author: gandydancer4

FANTASTIC!! Thanks for the info, Tom  ×   

Date: 08/01/20 17:24
Author: BNModeler

Bestine or Rubber Cement Thinner for prep

bearease Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know this has been discussed in past threads,
> but what did you use to treat or prep the material
> before painting?

Date: 08/01/20 17:35

I clean the 3D printed parts with Simple Green.  Soak them for between 30 minutes to an hour.  Then wash in warm water with Dawn and scrub good with a tooth brush. 

Let air dry for a couple of days, then primer.  You can smell the simple green for a week or two after soaked, 

Tom Daspit
Morgan Hill, CA
Tom's Trains

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/20 18:06 by tomd.

Date: 08/04/20 10:29
Author: RailBaron84

You probably don't care about such things since you're only spending the same amount on a kit as Spring Mills Depot announced would be the price for a RTR car, but the car type and deck are wrong for the FGE-built cars used in US Navy service. The end deck ratchet rails should have 6 in total, in 2 groups of three.

For what it's worth. Spring Mills Depot received their painted pre-production samples and has pictures on their website. http://www.springmillsdepot.com/DODXmodelphotos.htm

So, now you can see how their samples compare to your cars. It's my understanding that with the SMD cast body that it's only just under NMRA weight specs for a car of the saize. Good luck getting that with your 3D printed cars.

Date: 08/05/20 14:53
Author: DevalDragon

Those preproduction sample photos are from 2017. Haven't heard a peep from them since.

Not holding my breath...

Date: 08/06/20 10:02
Author: RailBaron84

DevalDragon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those preproduction sample photos are from 2017.
> Haven't heard a peep from them since.
>
> Not holding my breath...

Um, no they're not. They received the painted preproducton samples from their factory the beginning of July 2020.

I guess whatever excuse you need to fit your own personal narrative.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0625 seconds