Home Open Account Help 268 users online

Model Railroading > Southern Transcon - Backdrops, The Bane of My Life!

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 03/14/23 22:51
Southern Transcon - Backdrops, The Bane of My Life!
Author: djh4d

I find the lack of updates disturbing.

We've been busy in the last 4 months since my last update. The backdrop is 99% complete and bench work for the third level is almost complete.

1. Because of the weather over the winter, some of the backdrop was not pre painted before it was installed. However, we found this wasn't an issue once all the backdrop got it's final coat of paint. Seen here, we ended up putting full 4x8 sheets in.

2. While that was happening, the bench work for the third level was started. The plan is to do all the third level bench work, roadbed, track, wiring, and switch machines before we start on the second level. That way, we have a little more room to work. It'll be a different story once we start building the second level as the first level is already installed.

3. Pretty straight forward. Sheets of Eucaboard was cut into the appropriate width for each level and then glued together to make 16' strips. Everything was glued to the studs with Liquid Nail construction adhesive and was stapled in place until the glue dried.

More to come...

Date: 03/14/23 23:02
Re: Southern Transcon - Backdrops, The Bane of My Life!

4. Once the glue was dry, all the seams and staple holes were taped and filled in using drywall putty.

5. After the putty was dry, it was sanded and received it's final coat of paint forming a nice smooth surface. Once we start scenery, a photo backdrop will be glued on. But, that will come later. 

6. The process was repeated for each wall and each wall took a week to complete. Since there's 5 walls, this took 5 weeks just for backdrop. Hence, you can see why I flinch when someone mentions backdrop around me.

More to come...

Date: 03/14/23 23:14

7. More progress on the backdrop on the inside of the divider wall.

8. Starting to come together. This also shows why I like the Eucaboard. It's smooth on one side and has a rough texture on the other. That helps when gluing it to stuff. It's also really flexible. As seen here, it wraps around curves without any breakage.

9. Still more progress on the backdrop. At this point we continued on the bench work for the third level. Seen here, we started building the "duck under" on this side of the layout. But, since the third level is 74" high, there's not much ducking under here.

More to come...

Date: 03/14/23 23:27

10. With backdrop work (finally) winding down, it was full steam ahead on the bench work. We opted to start with the end of the branch line and work our way back.

11. More bench work and the top of Curtis Hill can be seen on the right. We braced up the bench work with 2x4s until I got the brackets attached. It should be noted that in addition to screwing the bench work together, we also glued it. We found that it really increases the stiffness of the bench work and increases strength. How stiff is it? I can do pull ups from it.

12. The bench work on the other end.

More to come...

Date: 03/14/23 23:39

13. Bench work continues at Shattuck.

14. More progress. If you look on the bottom of the third level, you'll notice that you don't see the brackets. Because they're on the top of the bench work, it creates a much cleaner profile on the bottom side.

15. All done with the third level. There's a little more that needs to be built, but that won't happen until we get the helix built.

Date: 03/14/23 23:49

16. We started the roadbed in the same place we started the bench work. Perryton is where the branch line ends.

17. We opted to use foam siding for wide and level areas as it saves on weight. It gets quite stiff once it's glued to the bench work and this is for the town of Perryton. You may also see how the brackets for the bench work is covered.

18. Starting to work out where everything needs to be. While there is a bridge here on the Shattuck line, it didn't look like this. We came into possession of two BLMA bridges and they're too pretty not to use. This is probably the biggest inaccuracy on the layout.

More to come...

Date: 03/15/23 00:13

That about wraps up this update. Work continues on the third level with the focus being on roadbed. Over this past weekend, our group was invited to give a clinic at the 2023 Indianapolis Santa Fe Mini Meet and we got to run trains on Tom Cain's Eastern Illinois Santa Fe layout.

19. Local heading out.

20. One of 18 trains we ran.

21. The Mini Meet was held at Allisonville Christian Church and was attend by over 50 people. That's yours truly up front while the rest of our group watches on. Notice that they're wearing the new layout swag.

Thanks for looking.

Enjoy,
-Dave

Date: 03/15/23 05:20
Author: sp8192

Once again....wow!   Thanks for the progress pics...it will be a fun ride watching this massive layout come to life!

Date: 03/15/23 09:34
Author: atsf121

Wow doesn't seem adequate enough, you are building one heck of a model railroad.

Nathan

Date: 03/15/23 12:58
Author: ckiefer

Can you tell me what the elevations are for your first and second levels?

Date: 03/15/23 16:52
Author: gandydancer4

Holy Crap that's a big layout.

Date: 03/15/23 19:30

ckiefer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can you tell me what the elevations are for your
> first and second levels?

1st level - 37"
2nd level - 57"

-Dave

Date: 03/16/23 13:12
Author: trainman

So many people over build their layouts like they're planning on the real thing running on it ! Example ...2x4 framework , 1/2 or 3/4 in plywood . We went minimal on our new layout with 1x3 framework topped with 1/8 Masonite and 1/2 in foam. It's double deck , but very lightweight and strong.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/16/23 21:44
Author: wabash2800

Thanks for sharing. I've never seen a railroad or model railroad presentation in a church sanctuary!

Victor Baird

Date: 03/17/23 07:37
Author: ChrisCampi

Dave, with the third level elevation around 74 inches, what's your plan for operating it? Portable step stools or do you have other plans?

Chris

Date: 03/17/23 07:53
Author: Spoony81

ChrisCampi Wrote:
> Dave, with the third level elevation around 74
> inches, what's your plan for operating it?
> Portable step stools or do you have other plans?
>
> Chris

Drywall stilts... :-)

Date: 03/17/23 09:50
Author: ChrisCampi

Spoony81 Wrote:
> ChrisCampi Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Dave, with the third level elevation around 74
> > inches, what's your plan for operating it?
> > Portable step stools or do you have other
> plans?
> >
> > Chris
>
> Drywall stilts... :-)

Only those 6'6" and taller need apply:-). I'm sure a railroad this well planned has something up it's sleeve.

Date: 03/17/23 10:11

ChrisCampi Wrote:
> Dave, with the third level elevation around 74
> inches, what's your plan for operating it?
> Portable step stools or do you have other plans?
>
> Chris

We have a few ideas on how to address that. We could build permanent steps, have portable stools, or give everyone drywall stilts. We haven't made a decision yet.

-Dave

Date: 03/17/23 10:14
Author: wabash2800

Is the 3rd level staging?

Victor Baird

Date: 03/17/23 20:02

wabash2800 Wrote:
> Is the 3rd level staging?
>
> Victor Baird

No, the third level is the Shattuck branch and Woodward through Vaugh. The staging is below the 1st level.

-Dave

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1002 seconds