Home Open Account Help 386 users online

Model Railroading > A "What-If" Paint Scheme

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 01/26/04 21:56
A "What-If" Paint Scheme
Author: Charles

What would a F59PHI look like in Great Northern Empire Builder colors? Well, wonder no more. No, I didn't paint it myself, but on one of my many trips up to the Portland area I saw this sitting on the shelf of the Whistle Stop hobby shop. But it didn't stay on the shelf for long. <grin>

It has turned a few heads at the San Diego Model Railroad Club which I am a member. It looks quite nice with a few Empire Builder cars behind it. Of coarse, with it being the modern era of passenger service, I ran a couple of express reefers and a couple of orange rodrailers behind it as well.

Maybe one of these days I will paint some Superliners to match.

Charles

Date: 01/26/04 22:34
Re: A "What-If" Paint Scheme
Author: TopcoatSmith

Milwaukee in the Hiawatha paint scheme anyone ?????

TCS - et expecto hiawathum

Date: 01/26/04 23:54
Author: highhood

LOOKS SHARP

Date: 01/27/04 09:04
Author: highgreengraphics

Beautiful - mark the words I previously posted - as choices decrease with regard to variety of the real railroads, we will see more and more of this, I think new releases of modern power will have to be offered in "what if" schemes, probably sooner rather than later. I can think of a few "what if" schemes I would buy, can't you? - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -JLH

Date: 01/27/04 13:48
Author: gp74444

TopcoatSmith Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Milwaukee in the Hiawatha paint scheme anyone
> ?????
>
>
good luck . i still have not found the time.......
and it looks like i might not with the price going up....
maybe time to e-bay

Date: 01/27/04 19:48
Author: FECSD40-2

Beautiful, gp74444! The model F59 in GN colors also looks outstanding! BNSF should have this scheme if it wants to stick to green and orange. It is better by a mile than the H2 scheme. (Bring back the warbonnet, Matt Rose.)

Date: 01/28/04 02:36

FECSD40-2 Wrote:

> (Bring back the warbonnet, Matt Rose.)

ok hows this...........

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 01/28/04 09:18
Author: highgreengraphics

Right on! Ditto again, fantasy stuff has to be done sooner or later, especially based upon what "fact" could have been, might have been, or should have been, even down to fantasy locomotives (the B-units). And a young executive newly at the helm of a shaken company after a cancelled merger looking for a new corporate image to rally behind might just choose something like this, eh? Anyway, when these come out, write me up for an A-B-B-A set! - - - - - - - JLH

Date: 01/28/04 19:47

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL, gp74444!!! Right on!!! Matt Rose, pay attention!!!

Date: 01/29/04 02:54

Thanks . and now for a rock island !use this to pull bilevel cars . think they could have replaced the old e-8s?

Date: 01/29/04 13:08

Awesome, gp74444!!! Amazing how really great the old schemes look on modern units, actually better than alot of the new ones! The newer model units should be offered in the older schemes too, they would sell more. It isn't prototypical, but it would increase interest and sales. How about AT&SF AC6000CW's and RI standard cab SD70's, as well as NYC lightning stripe GP60M's and GP60B's?

Date: 01/29/04 13:22

RI standard cab SD70's

its in the works!

Date: 01/29/04 14:25

Really sweet, gp74444!! Do you agree that the model makers should offer the older schemes too? I bet fans and people in general who want to get into the hobby would approve.

Date: 01/29/04 15:22

that would takeaway all the fun of doing it your self and ticking off the hardcore modelers :+)

hay Charles what decal set did you use?

Date: 01/29/04 16:24

True, but not everyone has the talent or time to do the paint and decal work, and it would defenitely help sales. Besides, a lot of the most experienced modelers like to paint all their locos anyway. I have seen a lot of model locos painted in both the warbonnet red and silver and blue and yellow that never were, like GP40's and high hood GP38's and alcos offered by the manufacturers as well as other schemes. And alot of modelers nitpick no matter what. With more schemes offered, the more modern power would sell more. Besides, who can resist more warbonnets?

Date: 01/29/04 16:37

gp74444 Wrote:
>
> hay Charles what decal set did you use?

Since I brought the GN unit at a hobby shop, I have no idea what decals he used. And I don't directly know the guy who did it either. The owner of the Portland Whistle Stop does though, and I have asked him a couple of times to ask the guy if he would be willing to paint another one for me.

Charles

Date: 01/29/04 16:40

I can't take credit for these, but here is a couple of examples of some modern passenger power in fantasy schemes.....

Date: 01/29/04 16:41

And here is a BN one......

Date: 01/29/04 18:03

I believe they would sell if offered. The old schemes look better on the genesis loco than the Amtrak scheme. The NH colored ones actually look pretty good. I wonder how many times in the future an old scheme will be resurrected like this?

Date: 01/29/04 18:31

Amtrak scheme !

ok one amtrak

ps an sd59phi looks good too

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0924 seconds