Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Passenger Trains > new and old

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 12/02/12 09:03
new and old
Author: pummer

On Saturday morning, I had the chance to see a new Talgo set parked on a Wisconsin & Southern siding in foggy Spring Green, WI, en route to interchange with the BNSF. About 2 1/2 hours later, an old Amtrak soldier leads a Hiawatha Service train as it departs Milwaukee bound for Chicago. The new Talgo unit certainly is, um, "different".

Date: 12/02/12 09:19
Re: new and old
Author: sp5312

"Design Engineer"? Some people shouldn't be allowed to breed.

Date: 12/02/12 09:31
Author: stampedepass

Butt ugly

Date: 12/02/12 09:48
Author: rrhistorian

I think "Butt Head" should be the nickname for these new cars. Back in the day, Butt Head was the nickname applied to Brill doodlebugs on some railroads due to their homely appearance. Truly, this design takes the cake!

Aside from the design appearance, the public should be outraged at the selection of such a non-aerodynamic design that will hurt the fuel economy compared to the streamlined design that was first proposed for these trains. It might be a small percent difference in lost fuel economy, but it will certainly make a big difference over the service life of these trains.

Date: 12/02/12 09:49
Author: msdgbar

Oh please send it to the bone yard.Yuk.

Date: 12/02/12 09:56
Author: zephyrus

Wow. I've broken my rule about criticizing the work of other designers and engineers before and I'm going to again. That is very unlovely. My apologies to whoever did the work, but it is. There had to be a better way to style this. It shows no sense of proportion or flow. The much criticized Rotem cab cars at least look clean and like someone looked at the proportions of the body. This looks like someone just shrinkwrapped metal over the hard points in the frame.

Z

Date: 12/02/12 10:05
Author: Costanza

Ugly with a capitol UGH....

Posted from Android

Date: 12/02/12 10:19
Author: PHall

And you guys were complaining how bad the old Talgo's with the fins looked?

Date: 12/02/12 10:35
Author: 41

Revolting. >:Þ

Date: 12/02/12 10:48
Author: okieinexile

Kill it with Fire! Nuke it before it spreads! Paint a smiley face on the rear and make it run backwards!

Date: 12/02/12 10:57
Author: wa4umr

With all respect to Trackmaster Dave (Thomas the Tank Locomotive series), that Talgo looks like something out of a childerens book. Just put a blue and white striped engineers hat on it. Maybe in 10 years or so we can learn to love it.

John

Date: 12/02/12 11:37
Author: Out_Of_Service

looks similar to an ugly Ingersol Rand locomotive i saw in the first edition of the diesels spotters guide

Date: 12/02/12 11:43
Author: TipsyMcStagger

D:

Date: 12/02/12 11:57
Author: coaststarlight99

How can you not burst out laughing when you see that thing?

Date: 12/02/12 12:06
Author: ColdRainAndSnow

The wheels on the bus go round and round,
Round and round, round and round.
The wheels on the bus go round and round,
All through the town!

Date: 12/02/12 12:09
Author: HoggerMatt

ColdRainAndSnow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The wheels on the bus go round and round,
> Round and round, round and round.
> The wheels on the bus go round and round,
> All through the town!

LOL!

Date: 12/02/12 13:44
Author: Notch16

The warning placard on the Talgo unit is wrong. It needs to read:

ESTHETICS UNACTIVATED
DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE
KEEP EYES COVERED

~ BZ

Date: 12/02/12 14:38
Author: DavidP

On the plus side that big windshield should allow great visibility. I sure wouldn't want to be sitting behind it though the first time a gravel truck ignores the crossing lights. At half the height of a standard locomotive cab the crew seems more exposed to impact in grade crossing collisions.

Dave

Date: 12/02/12 14:50
Author: KCCharlie

Paint 'er yeller and call it the M5000, cause it only looks half as good as the M10K.

KCCharlie

Date: 12/02/12 15:44
Author: pummer

I have no qualifications to speak on the subject, but I will anyway. The front of the unit doesn't seem very aerodynamic and while the large windshield seems to provide a great view, the wide space between the windshield and the side window would seem to limit visibility. I wouldn't want that big of a blind spot on a car, but maybe that's not a big issue on a locomotive? I'm sure much research was done on the design and that is what they came up with, but - ugly!

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0601 seconds