Home Open Account Help 195 users online

Passenger Trains > Sprinter Encounter

Date: 09/09/14 16:52
Sprinter Encounter
Author: Electromotive

Sprinter slows to service Nordahl Station prior to proceeding to its' terminus at Escondido Transit Center in Escondido, California. For scheduling, maps, and more information, please go to : NCTD.org

Note: The dash cam that recorded this was under fifty bucks on ebay, fyi. Recommend that train buffs get one of these little HD units.

Addendum: Upon inspection of the video, at least three automobiles were observed crossing the tracks as the crossing guards came down near the end of the video. Crossing guards coming down means GO!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/14 17:10 by Electromotive.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/09/14 19:22
Re: Sprinter Encounter
Author: 567Chant

The skater does a good job pacing the train. For a bit.
...Lorenzo

Date: 09/09/14 23:21
Author: GP25

I see this train has two cars.
I am guessing the trailing is a deadhead move?
Or has ridership seen an increase?

Jerry Martin
Los Angeles, CA
Central Coast Railroad Festival

Date: 09/10/14 09:42
Author: PHall

GP25 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I see this train has two cars.
> I am guessing the trailing is a deadhead move?
> Or has ridership seen an increase?

I've almost always seen two "cars" on the Sprinter from the beginning.
They seem to get a lot of passengers from Cal State San Marcos and Palamar College.

Date: 09/10/14 10:03
Author: Electromotive

Yes, during rush hour they put on more equipment in the AM and PM to accommodate the kids going to Cal State, which from the perspective of the video, is about two miles or so (?) away in a direct line (consult Google maps). Cal State is the next stop going in the other direction from Nordahl Station and, prior to getting there, the Sprinter crosses its' own bridge over State Highway 78. It slows down to do that so as not to stress the structure and to allow for the curving of the tracks (?) I guess. I have ridden the Sprinter on a lark all the way to Oceanside a few times. I have a lifetime bus pass from having worked for NCTD as a bus driver for about a quarter of a century, which also permits me to ride the Sprinter and Coaster for free. One time I set my smartphone to a GPS speedometer, curious as to how fast the Sprinter goes in the long straights between the two further most stations. Fifty-two mph is what it achieved, obviously with a schedule in mind I suspect. Periodically security will board to spot check fares which are on the honor system. I have seen more than one person get a ticket. At one time I wanted to be a motorman for the Sprinter but realized it was not in the cards because of the hiring paradigm they were using, which was not from the pool of drivers with good work records like myself. Sigh. They used other criteria.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.058 seconds