Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Passenger Trains > Another Ski Train question

Date: 01/02/17 21:06
Another Ski Train question
Author: lowwater

So far as I could find this question has been asked but not really answered.

Do they intend to run the train to Tabernash for turning as in years past? Or run around at Winter Park and leave it parked there? Fraser, or ???

Or is this a mystery that will have to wait for Saturday to be solved?☺

Thanks........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/17 21:06 by lowwater.

Date: 01/02/17 21:44
Re: Another Ski Train question
Author: dan

tommorow the HEP cab car  406 will arrive on 6 the donner pass thread reported, not that this is related to your question... it'll speed up the trip with no turning before backing in the depot the tired skiers will appreciate it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/17 11:12 by dan.

Date: 01/02/17 22:39
Author: NYC4096

lowwater: I thought that I heard early on in the discussion a year ago, that the train would turn at Tabernash and be repositioned eastbound at WP waiting for the skiers to return to Denver.  My friends in Denver are chomping at the bit to ride this train!

Date: 01/03/17 05:37
Author: 86235

Forgive me for being thick but if there's a cab car why run round or turn it, wouldn't it just return with whatever is on the east end leading, cab car or loco??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/17 05:37 by 86235.

Date: 01/03/17 06:55
Author: niagara484

86235 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Forgive me for being thick but if there's a cab
> car why run round or turn it, wouldn't it just
> return with whatever is on the east end leading,
> cab car or loco??

You are not being thick at all.  There are several questions going on here that we'll get answers to by the end of the week.  The question I have is "what is the status of the wye at Tabernash?"  Two years ago it was out of service.  If that is still the case they can't turn the train there.  That's why the locos ran around the train at Fraser in 2015.

Use of the 406 to lead the train eastbound back to Denver is a practical idea.  You can do a straight shot into Union Station on the return trip as opposed to having to spin around and back in to keep the power over the fueling pads on Tracks 4-5.

niagara484

Date: 01/03/17 07:28
Author: DJ-12

The presence of the cab car would seem to be a strong indicator that they won't wye the train. If that is the case, IIRC, there is a siding at Winter Park that isn't really long enough for freight train meets but would seem to be plenty long for parking the ski train. Hopefully this service performs well, and I'm glad to see this making a return.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/17 07:29 by PittsburghMike.

Date: 01/03/17 08:08
Author: Grande473

Amtrak stored its train at Fraser last year.

Date: 01/03/17 08:12
Author: dan

there was talk of restoring the wye track I thought, it was OOS

a friend who lives in the fraser merc was bitching about the layover, he has been bitching about trains foreever, even thou the buiding was built there because of D&SL

Date: 01/03/17 13:21
Author: BigSkyBlue

The train will be push pull and will park on the siding at Fraser during the layover.  So, the Winter Park Express will not go west of Fraser.   BSB

Date: 01/03/17 14:29
Author: dcautley

So, there are Superliners with MS wiring??

Posted from Android

Date: 01/03/17 15:18
Author: RioGrandeFan

The wye in Tabernash is out of service, in fact there was a report that the access switch to it off of the mainline was taken out.

Rumor has it that UP has put in dispatcher controlled power derails on either end of the Fraser siding presumably for housing the Winter Park Express during it's layover. This is probably a UP and/or Amtrak safety requirement since it is a passenger train tied down for hours, but the specific details are unknown.

Last time they just ran the power around the train but a push/pull operation works even better for all involved. 

Lee Ryan - Rio Grande Fan
Denver, CO

Date: 01/03/17 18:10
Author: joemvcnj

That means all Superliners used here have to be train-lined.  Are they all now anyway ?

Date: 01/03/17 20:55
Author: mcdeo

Yes, all Superliners have the ability for push/pull operation. The II's were delivered with it and the I's were are retrofited several years ago. 

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0433 seconds