Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Passenger Trains > A Tioga Pass Adventure

Date: 08/03/18 02:21
A Tioga Pass Adventure
Author: DelMonteX

I was recently offered the chance to ride the private car Tioga Pass along the BNSF Seattle sub. 

Wildfires, and UP Track work got it in the way, but if finally happened on Wednesday 8/1/18.

The plan was straight forward.   Board Cascades 505 in Tacoma, WA and ride to Centralia WA.

Wait about an hour or so and board the Tioga Pass on the end of #14 and ride back to Tacoma.   

As they say "how'd that work out for you?". 

Not well!   It was pretty warm when I left, short sleeve weather.  Brought a camera best suited for good light and a small GoPro for video.   None ended up being good choices.   It was cold and dark when I finally got my ride.

That said, my host was gracious and welcoming and it was great talking with my fellow passengers. 

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/18 12:35 by DelMonteX.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/03/18 06:12
Re: A Tioga Pass Adventure
Author: wheel_slip

I would venture to say that Norm is by far one of the best hosts... His railroad knowledge is second to none and ALL guests are made to feel welcome. Norm and his Tioga Pass are really a treasure.

Andy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/18 06:13 by wheel_slip.

Date: 08/03/18 09:20
Author: TAW

Great stuff Steve. I was hoping you would have something to post.

My day was brutal, but I was better prepared. I saw the AMTK service change message on No 14 on Tuesday, now due to leave Klamath Falls at 1100. After getting up dark and early to catch No 11 if UP changed their mind on the window, I elected to take 517 to Portland, betting that UP would treat 14 worse than BNSF would treat 517. I was right.We were only 1h48ml. Getting there involved walking to a bus, transferring to another bus and walking over to King Street Station.The trip is 14 miles after taking a local bus to the freeway station. The "express bus" takes an hour, since it is sitting in the same freeway traffic as everyone else. Not to dispair, there will be train service in only about six years.

The announcement at KSS was No 517 is delayed. We don't know when it will arrive and will keep you posted. That didn't sound good. Dixieland showed 517 out of Bellingham 47m late. With no OS before Everett and an announcement like that, I began to suspect cancellation. Even with time to wander over to Zeitgeist Coffee on that 47ml, I'd miss announcements, so like the rest of the passengers, I waited. The board was posted with just delayed and no estimated time, just like the announcements. The last time I went through this, it was a slide at Ridgefield South and service was cancelled...but they didn't say that then and they're not giving any hints now.

Oh look! Dixieland shows an Everett OS. Then it shows an Edmonds. Still no departure estimate on the board and no announcements of any kind, but I still overhear station personnel telling passengers that they don't know when the train will go. I'm wondering if cancellation is the next announcement and that there will be buses in a few hours, like the last time I was involved in such a fiasco (when, they waited for two hours after a slide that requires an automatic 48 hour out of service before they decided to cancel the train and look for buses...causing me to show up in Salem after the car rental agency closed). Then I see the train crew wander out to the platform about five minutes before 517's running time to Seattle from the Edmonds OS. Apparently they think we're going somewhere. No announcement. Finally, one of the station staff comes to the platform door and makes an announcement in a drill sergeant voice instead of talking normally on the PA. He could sure be heard, but after the LINE UP SINGLE FILE, I expected YOU BETTER MOVE!

The trip to Portland was brutal, losing 56m of death by a thousand cuts. A single seat in biz class is a good thing.

At Portland, I look at Dixieland and decide that it is time to go to beans. 14 is getting hammered down on the yellow railroad. Surprise! It's 80 degrees and I'm carrying around the jacket I brought for just in case.

At Wilf's, the restaurant in the station building, I encounter crabby staff because the passengers using the place are crabby. Sit outside under an umbrella for food and drink. Check Dixieland - now it's worse. It looks like 14 will show about 2000 (and it got 20 minutes worse before they showed up).

Fortunately, Portland Union Station is well equipped with electrical outlets by the benches across from the convenience store. Plenty of time to get some work done.

14 showed up and I walked out to the rear end. It was kind of bizarre. The station staff opened the door for arriving passengers. They were all off and still no announcement or opening the door for passengers to board. Passengers for the train gave up and started going out the entrance door. Two security guys standing at the door didn't stop them, so I decided to do the same. I don't know if or when they announced the train or opened the door or if all of the passengers finally gave up and disobeyed the instructions to not go out the in door. Maybe that had something to do with losing 19 more minutes at Portland before the trip even started. The trip to Seattle was uneventful except for the random PTC stop at Napavine. I was good to see Steve get on at Centralia. The whole trip was filled with talking railroad, so the time passed quickly.

Arriving at Seattle at 0100, my plan for a bus home was torpedoed. Out to the curb for a taxi and what do I find, only Uber. Sorry folks, I don't participate in the modern slavery that the folks promoting it call the gig economy. I wait around for a few minutes to see if a real taxi will show. I need that jacket now; it wasn't a silly choice after all. Hooray. A taxi shows up at a neighboring bar to disgorge a crew of guys bar hopping. Homeward bound and I finally get there at 0145, 16h15m after leaving. It was like that three hour tour with Gilligan, except for the great time on the Tioga Pass. Thanks Norm.

TAW

Date: 08/03/18 10:03
Author: Tominde

Nice story and concept.   But I'm not sure if it's your Go Pro or editing, or just trying to get under the TO video limit to tell your story.  I found your cuts and edits hard to follow. 

Date: 08/03/18 10:55
Author: cewherry

Just a minor, well maybe a major, nit to pick depending on how thick your skin is. 
Unless BNSF did some major re-naming of subdivisions since I departed the scene, your travels were on the Seattle Sub, not Scenic---Seattle to Wenatchee.
Otherwise nice photo essay.

Charlie

Date: 08/03/18 12:37

No, not a re-naming by BNSF.   Just too tired to catch my error.  Fixed now.

cewherry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just a minor, well maybe a major, nit to pick
> depending on how thick your skin is. 
> Unless BNSF did some major re-naming of
> subdivisions since I departed the scene, your
> travels were on the Seattle Sub, not
> Scenic---Seattle to Wenatchee.
> Otherwise nice photo essay.
>
> Charlie

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 08/03/18 12:39

Thanks!

Yes, you did have it much worse.   I didn't have the time for something that elaborate, and surely not enough time for it to go sideways like it did.     

Good talking with you again!

TAW Wrote:
> Great stuff Steve. I was hoping you would have
> something to post.
>
> My day was brutal, but I was better prepared. I
> TAW

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 08/03/18 13:12
Author: stash

Great meeting both of you on the Tioga Pass. Always nice to see the people behind the Trainorders handles.

Posted from Android

Date: 08/03/18 17:10
Author: gaspeamtrak

Sorry the train was so late ! But I still say it was worth the wait!!! ???
Thank you for sharing !!! :):):)

Date: 08/03/18 20:40

Good to meet you as well, after all these years!

stash Wrote:
> Great meeting both of you on the Tioga Pass.
> Always nice to see the people behind the
> Trainorders handles.
>
> Posted from Android

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1033 seconds