Home Open Account Help 256 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak 22(5) Texas Eagle Hits Trespassing Radio Host/Haltom City

Date: 02/05/19 14:31
Amtrak 22(5) Texas Eagle Hits Trespassing Radio Host/Haltom City
Author: SAAP

Anyone know what happened? I just received a text alert that "TRE passengers may experience delays due to an Amtrack(sic) incident at Richland Hills" . Track-A-Train shows Amtrak 22 not moving and still in Richland Hills (TX).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/19 11:54 by SAAP.

Date: 02/05/19 14:48
Re: Amtrak 22(5)
Author: regalstream1516

See  wfaa.com    One pedestrian killed by number 22 today.  No vehicle, and no injuries reported on board.  Suicide?  Trespasser? Accident?  More info will no doubt follow.  Carson street crossing in NRH.

Date: 02/05/19 15:07
Author: czephyr17

According to the the local news investigators say a man was jogging on the tracks when the Amtrak train hit him (in Haltom City, probably about 10 minutes after leaving Fort Worth).

Date: 02/05/19 15:24
Author: andersonb109

Another Darwin award winner. What exactly did this person think the tracks are there for? And further more, wouldn't running on railroad tracks be difficult?

Date: 02/05/19 15:47

Probably a suicide. Sad. I just got into Richland Hills. TRE trains aren’t running west of there. Trinity Metro was setting up a bus bridge to Fort Worth

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/05/19 18:55
Author: czephyr17

I see Amtrak 22 is on its way, 4:38 late east of Dallas.  (Note that it was 1:12 late leaving Fort Worth before the incident.)

Latest news report says witnesses and the train engineer said the man was not on the tracks, but was jogging close enough for the train to hit him (which I guess I would consider "on the tracks", but I suppose they mean he was outside the rails).

Date: 02/06/19 07:09

More information on the person hit. Doc Thompson was a local conservative talk show host who occasionally fills in for Glenn Beck.
"MICHAEL "DOC" THOMPSON, the veteran radio talk show host, has passed away.  THOMPSON was killed TUESDAY (2/5) after being hit by an AMTRAK train while jogging by the railroad tracks in HALTOM CITY, TX. A GOFUNDME page has been set up to raise funds for THOMPSON's wife YUNA and three children." 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/19 07:13 by SAAP.

Date: 02/06/19 08:54
Author: P

SAAP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> More information on the person hit. Doc Thompson
> was a local conservative talk show host who
> occasionally fills in for Glenn Beck.
> "MICHAEL "DOC" THOMPSON, the veteran radio talk
> show host, has passed away.  THOMPSON was killed
> TUESDAY (2/5) after being hit by an AMTRAK train
> while jogging by the railroad tracks in HALTOM
> CITY, TX. A GOFUNDME page has been set up to raise
> funds for THOMPSON's wife YUNA and three
> children." 
>
>  

Whoa! Not some random know nothing this time. I still don't understand how this happens.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/06/19 10:33

P Wrote:
> Whoa! Not some random know nothing this time. I still don't understand how this happens.
>
I tuned into one of the live Internet links to the station. They were using their collegue's death to trash Amtrak as "post office on wheels" and how one of the host's (didn't get his name) friends sent the host a picture of an Acela meal and thanked the host's taxes for paying for it. Disgusting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/19 11:30 by SAAP.

Date: 02/06/19 10:37
Author: PHall

Not exactly unexpected for that audience.

Date: 02/06/19 21:15
Author: cchan006

P Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Whoa! Not some random know nothing this time. I
> still don't understand how this happens.

In a Dallas News report linked in another thread, set of wireless earphones were found near the accident site.

I've already discussed the dangers of earphones + mobile electronics in another thread (or two) and I predicted this type of deaths will continue to occur, and unfortunately, here it is again.

If the talk show audience is blaming "Post Office on Wheels" that's up to them. They refuse to identify the root cause, so I'll predict AGAIN that more deaths of this type will continue.

Date: 02/06/19 22:24
Author: PHall

Why would you run on a railroad right of way? Ballast is a really crappy running surface.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0746 seconds