Home Open Account Help 244 users online

Passenger Trains > ATK F90

Date: 11/22/00 20:41
ATK F90
Author: pmpete

After reading about the C44-9 fantasy for pulling big western trains a trip to the EMD parts bin could very easily yeild this monster. BTW I belive ATK diesels are geared for 110 MPH. The 265V series prime mover with 6k HP put to the ground through 6 DC Traction motors would be fine. Slap on a F59 cab and extended cowling and HEP unit. Bota Bing.
I think this long bugger would look great with a string of superliners.
But reality is Amtrak seems to be happy with the P42's so I guess we are stuck with them for 20 years or so.
Paul

Date: 11/24/00 17:36
RE: ATK F90
Author: Lackawanna484

That scenario assumes you don't get the hunting which affected the SD40PF units. I'm not convinced Amtrak would ever buy any six axle non electric power after that fiasco.

Of course, if ATK put a tender filled with coal, or scrap metal behind the loco, maybe they would eliminate the problem...

Date: 11/25/00 10:33
Author: pmpete

I thought that the HTC-R's eliminated alot of those nasties that the flexicoil and HTC had?

Date: 11/25/00 23:36
Author: alamode

It was bad track that caused the hunting on the SDP40Fs. The rash of derailments that affected those units was found to be attibutable to empty baggage cars that trailed the units - the empty cars would literally bounce around the track and on certain curves combined with certain speeds would pull the locos off the tracks.

I've been told the HTC-R cannot (should not?) be used above 82 mph.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0326 seconds