Home Open Account Help 168 users online

Passenger Trains > Rare move of private car "Tioga Pass"


Date: 06/29/20 20:39
Rare move of private car "Tioga Pass"
Author: Spikes

Rare move of private car "Tioga Pass" on Amtrak No. 4 "Southwest Chief" east at Riverside CA on June 29. Destined for Chicago, New Orleans, then return to LA. Car is owned by Mr. Norm Orfall.




Date: 06/29/20 21:27
Re: Rare move of private car "Tioga Pass"
Author: Wurli1938

Nice to see that Tioga Pass is out and moving again - have a good trip Norm!



Date: 06/29/20 21:59
Re: Rare move of private car "Tioga Pass"
Author: chrisparker

Have a great trip Norman.

Posted from Android



Date: 06/29/20 22:42
Re: Rare move of private car "Tioga Pass"
Author: ln844south

Norm,
Great to see you out "rocking and rollin" again!
Hope to see you in the Pacific Northwest again.

Steve Panzik
Chiloquin, Or



Date: 06/30/20 04:49
Re: Rare move of private car "Tioga Pass"
Author: Topfuel

Because of the Lockdown the last few months, there were quite a few PV moves this spring and early summer that had to be postponed.  There are not as many options for PV trips as in the past, and the costs continue to go up, but Amtrak will still haul PV's so it's good to support them when trips are offered to the public.



Date: 06/30/20 08:05
Re: Rare move of private car "Tioga Pass"
Author: sethamtrak

A true shame that open platform can’t be enjoyed.



Date: 06/30/20 08:50
Re: Rare move of private car "Tioga Pass"
Author: retcsxcfm

Where is the drumhead?

Uncle Joe
Seffner,Fl.



Date: 06/30/20 13:14
Re: Rare move of private car "Tioga Pass"
Author: llafro

retcsxcfm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where is the drumhead?
>
> Uncle Joe
> Seffner,Fl.

Under the bed in room A, the last I checked. :-) Normally they do put it out there. Maybe a passenger request to improve visibility out the back.



Date: 06/30/20 16:22
Re: Rare move of private car "Tioga Pass"
Author: llafro

Number 4 lost three plus hours at Albuquerque due to a bad order locomotive. They received a replacement from number 3 when it arrived in the depot a few hours later. Amtrak trains can be such an adventure...



Date: 06/30/20 18:47
Re: Rare move of private car "Tioga Pass"
Author: Topfuel

llafro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Number 4 lost three plus hours at Albuquerque due
> to a bad order locomotive. They received a
> replacement from number 3 when it arrived in the
> depot a few hours later. Amtrak trains can be such
> an adventure...

No doubt that delay will be charged to the PV.  "3 hour delay at ABQ account application of drumhead to rear of PV Tioga Pass".  : )



Date: 07/02/20 07:36
Re: Rare move of private car "Tioga Pass"
Author: filmteknik

Did anyone get them arriving in Chicago last night?



Date: 07/02/20 08:40
Re: Rare move of private car "Tioga Pass"
Author: Rmosele

Does anyone know if the car is actually on the City of New Orleans today? I am planning to meet it at Hammond, LA if it is.



Date: 07/02/20 10:51
Re: Rare move of private car "Tioga Pass"
Author: sethamtrak

I was going to get them arriving in Chicago but it was starting to get dark. I do plan on getting photos of the Tioga Pass departing CUS tonight on train 59. I sure hope it leaves on-time or else it’ll get dark quick around 8pm.

Posted from iPhone



Date: 07/02/20 14:19
Re: Rare move of private car "Tioga Pass"
Author: llafro

Rmosele Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone know if the car is actually on the
> City of New Orleans today? I am planning to meet
> it at Hammond, LA if it is.

That's the plan. The car was bad ordered last night to true some wheels, but it's ready now to add to the train.



Date: 07/02/20 15:31
Re: Rare move of private car "Tioga Pass"
Author: filmteknik

I presume there’s a truing machine in Chicago.

(Just imagining if the only one around was Metra’s in Blue Island on the Electric. Of course that’s not true but think of the rare mileage if it was!)



Date: 07/02/20 19:30
Re: Rare move of private car "Tioga Pass"
Author: Rmosele

The car was not on today's City of New Orleans. Don't know where it is but I am not driving another hour tomorrow to Hammond to see if it is on it. Talked to the conductor on today's CONO and he had no idea what I was even talking about. He had never even heard of the Tioga Pass and didn't seem to even know that Amtrak still allows private cars on their trains. 



Date: 07/03/20 13:15
Re: Rare move of private car "Tioga Pass"
Author: MaryMcPherson

Rmosele Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The car was not on today's City of New Orleans.
> Don't know where it is but I am not driving
> another hour tomorrow to Hammond to see if it is
> on it. Talked to the conductor on today's CONO and
> he had no idea what I was even talking about. He
> had never even heard of the Tioga Pass and didn't
> seem to even know that Amtrak still allows private
> cars on their trains. 

Talked to the wrong conductor.  LOL

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions



Date: 07/03/20 13:19
Re: Rare move of private car "Tioga Pass"
Author: Rmosele

MaryMcPherson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rmosele Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The car was not on today's City of New Orleans.
> > Don't know where it is but I am not driving
> > another hour tomorrow to Hammond to see if it
> is
> > on it. Talked to the conductor on today's CONO
> and
> > he had no idea what I was even talking about.
> He
> > had never even heard of the Tioga Pass and
> didn't
> > seem to even know that Amtrak still allows
> private
> > cars on their trains. 
>
> Talked to the wrong conductor.  LOL

You're right about that! I rode that train last year and had a nice conversation with the conductor on the northbound trip and the two sleeping car attendants were very helpful as I needed help with my suitcase getting on and off the train. This guy yesterday didn't seem like he enjoys his job much.



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0538 seconds