Passenger Trains > San Joaquins to restore some service as ridership rebounds

Date: 06/24/21 22:10
San Joaquins to restore some service as ridership rebounds
Author: GenePoon

San Joaquins plans to restore service on some routes as ridership rebounds
  • The Bakersfield Californian
  • Jun 23, 2021
  •  
 As pandemic restrictions have eased and communities reopen, increased ridership on the Central Valley's Amtrak system has prompted the authority that represents the 365-mile San Joaquin Corridor to announce plans for restoring passenger service on certain routes.

"This increase in service will improve connectivity for the summer travel season," said David Lipari, marketing manager for the San Joaquin Regional Rail Commission. "We also anticipate making further adjustments to increase service this fall, including potentially restoring at least one direct train connection to Sacramento.

"Here are the routes that will be restored on trains and buses starting Monday:
  • Daily service will resume on Train 717, which heads north from Bakersfield at 2:12 p.m. and arrives in Oakland at 8:31 p.m.
  • Daily service will resume on Train 714, which heads south from Oakland at 11:36 a.m. and arrives in Bakersfield at 5:57 p.m.
  • Bus service will increase on Route 1, which covers Bakersfield to Los Angeles to San Diego; Route 3, which covers Redding to Sacramento to Stockton; and Route 99, which connects Oakland to Emeryville and San Francisco.
Café service will also be resuming on several trains with café cars. Those trains without café cars will offer passengers a free snack box.Face masks will still be required on the Amtrak San Joaquins in accordance with CDC and state health guidance.https://www.bakersfield.com/news/amtrak-san-joaquins-plans-to-restore-service-on-some-routes-as-ridership-rebounds/article_4303eb7e-d451-11eb-88d1-e362a50c065d.html=================================================================

There is no summer resumption of the Sacramento San Joaquin trains (of which I rode the inaugural on May 16, 1999).

Date: 06/25/21 12:34
Re: San Joaquins to restore some service as ridership rebounds
Author: bridge22-0196

GenePoon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
  • > There is no summer resumption of the Sacramento
    > San Joaquin trains (of which I rode the inaugural
    > on May 16, 1999).

This is extremely disappointing.   I rode  #702 6-7 times a year and I was by no means the only person riding from Sacto
Will the thruway bus stop at Van Nuys be restored, at least?!

Date: 06/25/21 13:32
Re: San Joaquins to restore some service as ridership rebounds
Author: mundo

Date: 06/26/21 21:03
Re: San Joaquin's to restore some service as ridership rebounds

In watching the up and downs of Thruway service in California, it appears to me that the Joint Power boards have little interest in them.  Could be the costs do not result in sufficient  ridership.

Pick  up a copy of the old California System Timetable from Cal Trans in t he 1990's.  Buses everywhere  it was a transit bible of all rail transit in California. A Grand Sales Tour.  Had several Travel agents ask me for a copy for reference.

Date: 06/27/21 14:11
Author: SanDiegan

mundo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In watching the up and downs of Thruway service in
> California, it appears to me that the Joint Power
> boards have little interest in them.  Could be
> the costs do not result in sufficient 
> ridership.
>

Caltrans knew only a few bus riders to pay for the bus, but the statewide coordinator retired. Peak ridership occurred when the Thruway Bus network was at its peak. The JPA's don't know the history, nor do they understand the economics of city pairs and through travel.

Date: 06/27/21 16:59

San Diegn you hit it on the nail head.  Present management has no idea of what service was offered.
Look at the Oct 30, 1994 timetable to see all the possble connections possible.  Just about the peak number of  cities served.
Like Jamestown-Twin Harte-., El Monte-Whittier-Bakerfield,  Reno-Quincy-Redding.  These are a sample of what one could do. Sure that those routes did not provide
larger ridership, but the public had options, in place of driving.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0452 seconds