Home Open Account Help 256 users online

Passenger Trains > Bedford Virginia

Date: 07/16/22 10:16
Bedford Virginia
Author: amtrakbill

Here is a video of Amtraks new train passing through Bedford Virginia on its way to Washington DC.  This was on Tuesday 7/12 and it arrived in Washington about 8 hours late due to trees fouling the tracks in Northern Virginia after heavy thurnder-storms.  This video was taken across from the old depot which is now a very nice restaurant decoracted in railroad motiff.  

The state of Virginia has announced it will build a station in Bedford which is mid-way between Roanoke and Lynchburg.  The station most likely will be where I was standing taking this video.  The old station which served the Mountaineer until it ended service in 1979 can be seen across the tracks bottom right corner of the frame as the train speeds closer.  

Bedford is home to the National D-Day Memorial and is a must see attraction.  Bedford was chosen for this memorial because they had more boys killed in D-Day per capita than any other city in America.  

Bedford is a small but vibrant city that will serve Amtrak well once they start service there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/22 14:48 by amtrakbill.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 07/16/22 11:18
Re: Bedford Virginia
Author: CPMorris

Great video, Bill -thanks for sharing . Now, save this for your
new granddaughter and, many years from now, you can show her
what Grandfather Bill did the day she was born!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/22 11:31 by CPMorris.

Date: 07/16/22 12:07
Author: PHall

O.T. - Bedford had the high loss rate on D-Day because their boys were members of the 29th Infantry Division which was made up of members of the Virginia, Maryland, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina and the West Virginia National Guards and they were in the First Wave at Omaha Beach.

Date: 07/16/22 15:23
Author: Cumbresfan

One of my early memories was our family from Massachusetts visiting Bedford in the early 1950's to see my grandfather who was at the Elks retirement home there. From the highway, we could see the steam engines on the Norfork and Western passing below. With my mom and sister in the car, my dad did not heed my requests to stop to watch them so I only caught an occasional short glimpse before we moved on.

Date: 07/17/22 10:04
Author: widowsihler

That appears to be quite a climb up to the level of the old station. Perspective is hard to be certain about in movies, but the loco is plainly working pretty hard.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0428 seconds