Home Open Account Help 328 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Railroading in the Andes of Peru

Date: 01/19/14 17:10
Railroading in the Andes of Peru
Author: DWBrown

Here are some views of stored locos at San Bartolome, Peru, site of the first switchback on the Peru Central route. There are several wrecked locomotives are stored here in a deadline. Also are several out of service ex-NS C-39-8's missing some turbochargers and other devises. The siding is also cut off from the mainline. Included in the string is former FFdeCC Beyer Peacock 2-8-0 #206 out of service. This loco had been available for charters, however it needs extensive rebuilding to put it back in service. A Alco diesel is in the line also, out of service and missing a wheel set. It is FCCA #538.

Two photos are at San Bartolome.

The other is at the Tamborque switchback.

Date: 01/19/14 18:09
Re: Railroading in the Andes of Peru
Author: lynnpowell

I like the 1007's Conrail-like logo and paint scheme.

Date: 01/19/14 19:31

Rail Development Corp logo is similiar to the Conrail logo. It is used on several of their properties. Henry Pozner III worked for Conrail before venturing into rail development in other countries. RDC is one of the investors into the Peru Central.

Dale Brown

Date: 01/19/14 19:58

Another view of a FCCA #1001 arriving off the switchback at San Bartolome westbound to Lima.

Date: 01/19/14 22:24
Author: YukonYeti

Great material!

Date: 01/20/14 06:39

Turntable is used to turn locomotives to orient them upgrade or downgrade. The switchback is only one leg. The reverse move is needed to head up or down. The trackage makes a 280 degree loop after about 1km off the first leg of the switchback. Other switchbacks are full zig zag configuration.

Dale Brown

Date: 01/20/14 12:46
Author: lynnpowell

What GE model designation is #1001? It sure has a short frame.

Date: 01/20/14 12:56

They are modified NdeM Super C kits that have been rebuilt as C-30-7. The 1010 is also a C-30-7 that was wrecked seen in one photo, Note the vents on rear are angled to fit the tunnels.

Dale Brown

Date: 01/20/14 17:37
Author: dbinterlock

Interesting to see the ex-NS C39-8 there. Years ago a few made it out west to Los Angeles on UP trains and one day I needed to do a daily inspection on this type of engine. On the long hood are "folding L" style door latches instead of the more typical earlier C30-7 "twisting T" type door latch. After years of operation, they were jammed and bent, so after my third try at fighting to unlatch a side door and straining my wrist into a pretzel, I figured forget it and if it blows up, it blows up, I'm not injuring myself for a daily inspection. This type of latch didn't last long and the more typical EMD style knuckle buster latch was used from late 1980's and on.

Date: 01/21/14 11:49

I did not see any C-39-8s in service on the lower portions of the line. I think that they may be a problem of weight and needed to be lightened to move them higher into the Andes. FCCA had some ex-BN B-38-7s in service I believe.

Dale Brown

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1015 seconds