Home Open Account Help 349 users online

Railfan Technology > Converting 74 volts DC to 110 AC

Date: 07/05/09 05:16
Converting 74 volts DC to 110 AC
Author: CS890

A portion of my job requires that I ride the head end for extended periods of time. On a recent trip I was searching for a 110 volt outlet in the cab to power my laptop. The only thing available was 74 VDC out of a 'standard' household plug receptacle. Any information on circuits/inverters that would convert 74 VDC to 110 VAC would be appreciated.

CS890

Date: 07/05/09 10:31
Re: Converting 74 volts DC to 110 AC
Author: NSDash9

This link should help:

http://www.locoverter.com/

Chris Toth
NSDash9.com

Date: 07/05/09 10:54
Author: BNSFhogger

I've never had problems pluggin my laptop into the 74v. Worked fine on a Compaq, Acer, Dell and HP.

Date: 07/05/09 18:14
Author: TCnR

"Some" of the laptop power sources use a solid state voltage conversion design, no transformers so they have a wider input power range. But check the specs.
If it was a transformer it would look like a dead short to 74vdc and all the smoke would be let out of the box.

Date: 07/07/09 21:25
Author: RAS

TCnR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If it was a transformer it would look like a dead
> short to 74vdc and all the smoke would be let out
> of the box.

We went through numerous power adapters while doing research for Microsoft Train Simulator - we had marginal luck running laptops and video cameras via the onboard 74V plugs. They burn out instantly when you plug them in, so be warned. And bring a backup plan, if not a backup power supply.

Our most reliable option was a portable Honda generator. We also had luck using a 74V - 12V converter, which then powered automotive adaptors for the laptops and cameras.

We always found it ironic that it was so challenging to get usable power on a big rolling generator....

-Rick

Rick Selby
Redmond, WA
Pacific Northwest RPM

Date: 07/07/09 21:31
Author: RAS

NSDash9 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This link should help:
>
> http://www.locoverter.com/
>
>
> Chris Toth
> NSDash9.com

Very cool. Wish this was available a few years ago. Would have made life much easier!

Rick Selby
Redmond, WA
Pacific Northwest RPM

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0344 seconds