Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Railfan Technology > Windows 10 upgrade. I did it.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 07/30/15 13:06
Windows 10 upgrade. I did it.
Author: wa4umr

A bit off topic but I thought some of you would be interested.  I just did the upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.  It was rather painless.  It took about an hour and 15 minutes.  Once you start the process, it takes about 15 minutes to download some files.  After that part of the process, the system reboots.  It comes up with a window that says “Upgrading Windows.”  It tells you to sit back and relax and that it will be rebooting several times.  It then:
1 copies files, reboots,
2 installs features and drivers, reboots
3 configures settings, reboots

When it restarts it starts with a screen that says it’s taking care of a few thing and a voice tells you it is getting your pc ready and not to turn off the computer.  When it completes that process, in about two minutes, it gives you your the computer back.  It does ask 3 or 4 questions but they are not the goofy question you don’t know anything about or that don’t make sense.  The only thing I have noticed is that tapping the mousepad to select an option doesn’t always work.  I have to right click some things to select them.  I may need to reset an option.  Just haven’t looked into it.   Mail, Word, Chrome, and a few other things I checked seem to work OK.  The Windows screen it a bit different.  Let’s just hope Microsoft is correct when the said, “Windows 10 will be what Windows 8 wasn’t.”

John

Date: 07/30/15 13:59
Re: Windows 10 upgrade. I did it.
Author: RFandPFan

Did it save your files and programs when it installed?

Date: 07/30/15 14:17
Author: colehour

Thanks for the encouraging narrative about your upgrade. From what I have read, MS has done a good job with this product. I'm still going to wait awhile, however, just to see if there are any issues that need to be addressed.

Date: 07/30/15 15:16
Author: loopy7764

From what I've heard so far, 10 is a fairly solid product. I just can't stand the UI...

Date: 07/30/15 19:00
Author: Frisco1522

I miss the start button and access to the programs, which I think 10 calls apps now.  I just did it this afternoon, so I have a lot to learn.

Date: 07/30/15 19:23
Author: cchan006

RFandPFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did it save your files and programs when it
> installed?

In tech media, experts say that you can restore the previous version of Windows if done within 30 days after the upgrade. In past upgrades I've done (Windows Vista, Windows 7, and older ones which probably aren't relevant), I've noticed that files and programs (other than Windows itself) usually stay on the computer. So the short answer would be yes.

Date: 07/30/15 19:26
Author: wa4umr

RFandPFan Wrote:
> Did it save your files and programs when it
> installed?

I have a fairly new computer.  Had it about 2 months and most everything I have is a copy of what I had on the old computer so I had a back up of probably 95% or more of my stuff.

BTW, I'm not an authority on the subject.  I just posted this originally to let others know that it is a fairly painless process.  Easier than I expected.

My computer has an i7 processer, 12GB memory so it should be fairly quick, not the fastest in the world but a lot better than the Z80 I used to have with 4K memory.

John

Date: 08/01/15 17:51
Re: Windows 10 upgrade. Spying concerns.
Author: K3HX

Date: 08/04/15 07:01
Author: calsubd

Is Excel included ?

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 08/07/15 15:52
Author: dirkb

excel not included.

that said, i've done 3 upgrades so far. painless and functional. not a huge fan of the UI still, (liked 7 better) but so far so good.

Date: 08/09/15 09:54
Author: PERichardson

I must be the only guy who loves Win 8.1.  I stayed with XP until pretty much nothing worked anymore. So got a high-end HP laptop with 8.1,  new scanner, printer, etc. and all worked perfectly the first time I turned it on.   Have yet to have a problem with anything.  Perhaps because I only use it for relatively simple stuff but so far so good.  Got our son the same laptop and he's had no problems with games, school work, etc.   Mom took over his Apple laptop which he and I hated....slow, pain in the ass with app this and app that, not to mention three hard drive failures in the first two years.  They were replaced free but at that point who cares?  Now it works fine for mom at least.   His school here in Chile has now issued Ipads to all middle school students so they do homework, etc. on that.  Ah, the paperless society.  Our son loves it though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/15 09:57 by masterphots.

Date: 08/09/15 18:26
Author: Railbaron

So far it sounds like some of you haven't had any problems upgrading to Windows 10 BUT .... has anybody gone through the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro?

My machine has tried multiple times every day since July 28th and it has failed every time - in fact I haven't seen any sign it even starting to upgrade but the update history is filled with "fails". And I am not alone as a good friend is having the same issue so has anybody else had problems with the "Pro" upgrade?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/15 18:36 by Railbaron.

Date: 08/18/15 01:01
Author: fbe

I am starting the process if upgrading a Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Pro.  Since I will have two machines to upgrade I did a download of the .exe files to a USB thumb drive.  My laptop will need a bios upgrade and the desktop is not even up to date enough for the Win 10 software to evaluate it for compatability.  Had to go and download 129 Windows updates and install them to bring the machine into this year.  It is a Dell XPS 8300 and Dell says they have no idea if Microsoft will allow Win 10 to run on the machine. This is the machine I really want to work on Win 10 so of course it will be the hardest to convert I am sure.

Update:

I still cannot get the Windows 10 Update App which gives you the little windows flag icon in the toolbar in the lower right of your screen to install. It seems I need to check again for yet more updates. This might be easier on a Windows 8.1 machine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/15 09:40 by fbe.

Date: 08/18/15 09:07
Author: tq-07fan

This is totally on topic since we are looking at a computer to read this. I keep getting the upgrade to Windows 10 for free. I have Windows 7 (Home Premium maybe, I don't know?). I like just about everything about Windows 7, especially since I had Vista on the computer this one replaced. Is there any real reason to upgrade to 10 if you like the operating system you already have?

Jim

Date: 08/18/15 09:35

" Is there any real reason to upgrade to 10 if you like the operating system you already have"

Someday MicroSux will no longer offer support for the system you are using just like they dropped support for WinXP. Perhaps you will upgrade your computer by then and get Win 10 or Win 11 with that machine.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/18/15 09:38
Author: tq-07fan

Sounds good! This laptop is almost five years old and has a lot of hours and use on it. I think I will leave it be then...

Jim

Date: 08/18/15 09:43
Author: GN_X838

We had XP where I worked and everything was great. The next upgrade, I don't remember
which one, almost shut down our whole plant. We reinstalled XP and got a license to
keep it and never upgraded again....Our desk computers were OK, but sure hard
to get use too..... I have all Macs now..........Swede..........Albany,Or.

Date: 08/18/15 09:57

tq-07fan Wrote:
> Sounds good! This laptop is almost five years old
> and has a lot of hours and use on it. I think I
> will leave it be then...

In the past I have been slow to upgrade to a new Microsoft OS, but I upgraded to Windows 10 this morning. It went smoothly, although at one point it was looking for the OS on the wrong hard drive, and I had to indicate which drive to boot from. (A moment or two of panic, to be sure.)

So far it seems to be fairly similar to 8.1, which I was happy with. There will be something of a learning curve, of course. My desktop is about 7 years old, although I have upgraded the video card and installed an SSD drive. I will probablyinstall Windows 10 on my newer notebook as well. 

I have a 9 year old notebook on which I installed Linux Mint, just for the heck of it, since I don't use it much.  That's worth considering for those still using XP, especially since the installation gives you a dual boot option.

Date: 08/18/15 19:07
Re: Windows 10 upgrade - some advice

The upgrade went fairly well, except for the minor problem I noted in the previous post. After posting that, I rebooted and, after entering the passwored, the screen went blank and nothing seemed to be happening. I tried rebooting several times with the same results. At one point I had to leave the house for about a half hour, and when I returned, everything was fine. It appears that in the case of my computer it just took an inordinately long time to update (or whatever) after the upgrade. 

So, don't panic if this happens. Be patient and things will probably be fine.

Date: 08/18/15 22:55
Re: Windows 10 upgrade.

I got  few more software updates to download and install this evening.  I rebooted the machine a couple of times to allow the software to install and work it's way through all the hardware drivers. 

The small windows flag icon showed up in the tool bar so I hit that while I was online and a window showed up and said my computer was compatible with Win 10 and I could reserve the program.  I clicked yes and it said I would be notified when it would be available to me.  I said I wanted to be notified when that happened and instead of asking for an email it said it was time to download the software now.  In about 30 minutes I have downloaded 26% of the 2.7K mb files via the cell phone MiFi connection.

STATUS: I started the program download at 2315 via a cell phone connection and that finished at 0155. After about 5" it started to install. Thirty minutes later it tells me the install is 40% done.

This is on the Dell XPS 8300 desktop computer.  I will use this to test software and hardware before I even think of upgrading the notebook.  There is a rumor Photoshop CS6 may not run on Win 10, perhaps that is not true or it may be possible to reinstall it under Win 10 as a Win 7 program.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/15 01:34 by fbe.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0921 seconds