Home Open Account Help 171 users online

Railfan Technology > Contemporary Uniden BC560XLT

Date: 09/09/15 06:17
Contemporary Uniden BC560XLT
Author: twropr

My BC560XLT has had the antenna connection come loose so many times that I am considering buying a new radio.  What are some good receiving scanners that are similar in size to the 560XLT, connect with a PL259,  not terribly expensive, and rugged for travelling in an automobile?
Thanks!
Andy

Date: 09/09/15 15:33
Re: Contemporary Uniden BC560XLT
Author: wa4umr

From what I can tell, that scanner has the automotive antenna connector.  If you're happy with it's performance and features and the only problem seems to be the antenna connector, then why don't you just replace the cheap connector with an SO-239.  You mentioned using a PL-259.  The SO-239 has two or more commonly, 4 holes to pass  4-40 screws.  You would probably have to ream the original hole to mount the SO-239 and drill the holes for the screws.   You could use a pipe reamer or even a Dremel tool with a but or grinding nub to enlarge the hole.  It just depends on what you have and how good you want it to look.  You could even use a hand file.  You could use some star washers, some loc-tite, or even a dab or the wife's fingernail polish to secure the nuts on the screw if you really wanted to secure it.  You probably would have to add a short piece of wire from the connector to the circuit board.

John

Date: 09/10/15 09:30
Author: twropr

Since the 560 is old, I should clarify my request.  The 560 is rectangular in shape, its metal case measures approx. 5.6 wide, 6.75 front-to-back and 1.4 high.
I am looking for a modern scanner to replace it with that can hold more than 10 channels and has great sensativity and pickup.  Here in Florida, the terrain is flat; however, the base stations do not broadcast as strong a signal as they did several years ago and it takes a good scanner to pick one up from more than 20 miles.
Just looking for a recommendation for something approx. this size that will hook up to my mag mount antenna and easily fit in the car.
Thanks!
Andy
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 09/11/15 00:10
Author: wa4umr

I'm sorry that I sort of miss-understood your initial request.  

If you are not opposed to some of the ham radio offerings, there are several that can be had for $150 or less.  I looked at R and L Electronics but there are several others that are equally trustworthy.  There are several radios out there but here are a few examples, listed in no paticular order.

Alinco DR-135MKIII.  $170 (a little over the $150 but close)
Kenwood TM-281A   $143
Yaesu  Ft1900R or FT2900R  $139.95

All of these have 200 memories and cover from 136-174MHz.  I didn't look up the scan rates or anything else, just checked to make sure they would cover the 161 MHz range.

There are some Chinese radios on the market but I'm not a fan of those, sort of because so much other stuff is made over there and some of the dealers are not well established.

You're buying a transmitter that you won't be using but you're going to get the best receiver you can get without purchasing a commercial radio.  Just leave the microphone in the box and you'll be OK.

Hope this is a better answer than my first response.

John

Date: 09/12/15 23:24
Author: mojaveflyer

I'll echo what John said. I have both a GRE PSR-600 mobile scanner in the car and an Alinco DR-620 dual band. I use the scanner for railroads and aircraft (both military and civil) but when I'm out shooting railroads on a particular line I'll set the Alinco to the road channel I'm interested in. The ham radios are not a very distant cousin of the mobile radios used by the railroads in mobile units. In fact, many mobile radios used by the railroads are made by Kenwood or Vertex (the commercial radio side of Yaesu ham radios).  

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0439 seconds