Home Open Account Help 371 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Trespassers at Dunsmuir

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 07/16/17 11:35
Trespassers at Dunsmuir
Author: wjpyper

Watch the trespasser at Dunsmuir put his kid on the locomotive at 11:18 this morning.

Date: 07/16/17 12:12
Re: Trespassers at Dunsmuir
Author: MojaveBill

Idiot! I'll bet that if one of the kids fell off he'd sue UP for "creating a public nuisance!"

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 07/16/17 12:35
Author: LarryB

Not to start anything, but how many of you on here have had your picture taken or taken a picture of someone else on, in front of, leaning against or otherwise real close to a "live" locomotive? If your answer is yes (which is most of you), do you consider yourself an idiot? Just sayin.....

Date: 07/16/17 12:54
Author: mojaveflyer

Back in late 1950's, my father took a photo of me sitting on top of a Bomarc missile (you'll have to Google that) since the truck that was carrying it broke down. Today my father would have been arrested and I would be with Child Protective Services... How times have changed!

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 07/16/17 12:58
Author: ghemr

LarryB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not to start anything, but how many of you on here
> have had your picture taken or taken a picture of
> someone else on, in front of, leaning against or
> otherwise real close to a "live" locomotive? If
> your answer is yes (which is most of you), do you
> consider yourself an idiot? Just sayin.....

In case you haven't heard, all railfans are allowed to trespass anywhere they want! Non railfans will be thoroughly criticized on this website!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/17 13:00 by ghemr.

Date: 07/16/17 13:04
Author: DWGOLDE

Almost all of us have had our photographs taken standing on a locomotives steps or in the cab. In years previous to the 21st Century I have been invited into locomotive cabs by the crew on the locomotives countless times. Only a few times did I not take them up on their offer. The few times I did not take them up on their offer I felt bad for turning them down because the railroaders who invited us into their cabs were truly the good guys in railroading and would not have asked us to visit their cabs if they did not want us to be there.

Date: 07/16/17 13:55
Author: P

Awesome! Those kids sure got a treat!

Date: 07/16/17 14:45
Author: BigE

MY GOD! The horror!!!

Date: 07/16/17 16:20
Author: partsguy

All these RR's and related industries (matter of fact a lot industries in general) preach safety, safety, safety, yet then ask employees to do countless unsafe practices "it's gotta get done" so whatever...

Date: 07/16/17 18:05
Author: upkpfan

Where is the picture? upkpfan

Date: 07/16/17 18:51
Author: cchan006

partsguy Wrote:
> All these RR's and related industries (matter of
> fact a lot industries in general) preach safety,
> safety, safety, yet then ask employees to do
> countless unsafe practices "it's gotta get done"
> so whatever...

No whatever about it. Simple CYA (Cover Your A**) by the management side when an accident does happen due to all the pressures they exert on the workers for "efficiency." They don't have the competency to deal with a small minority of employees who are incapable of doing their jobs, so they punish everybody by using "safety" as an oppressive tool.

I'm sure there are plenty of TO members who have to deal with dumb, petty dictators on a daily basis. :-) In the meantime, I thank the railroad employees who exercise great judgement to allow us railfans to enjoy the hobby a bit more.

Date: 07/16/17 21:44
Author: wa4umr

Prior to about 2000, we all did it. Railroaders would invite you into the cab. I did it as a kid and I did it as a dad. I would do it as a grandpa but that isn't going to happen these days. If someone got hurt you brushed it off and went about your business. Today, if you break a finger nail you're going to sue someone and the railroads know it. The railroads (and a lot of industries) have gone on the defense since 9/11. They don't even want us to take pictures from public property in many cases. The lawyers advertise all day long that if you are hurt, they can get you zillions of bucks. It's a shame, but that's the way it is.

John

Date: 07/16/17 22:33
Author: tronarail

Prior to 2000? Not to demean your experiences by any means; but my memory goes back to the late 1960's when my friend's father (an SP engineer on the Lone Pine local out of Mojave) would allow his son and me to ride in the cab of the SD9 as we crossed the main highway and Oak Creek Road easing our way into Mojave Yard. The "rides" were timed for Saturdays,(except when "officials" were in town). In another instance,(also in the late 60's)an SP engineer friend of mine who worked the Mojave Yard switcher would allow myself and another friend to ride in the cab for some switching moves. One day, my engineer friend was at the controls of a new locomotive (I cannot be certain, but I think it was a K-M unit)and he allowed both myself and my friend to sit in the engineer's seat and ACTUALLY move the engine backwards and forwards. Ah, memories of those carefree times make me smile.

Date: 07/17/17 01:44
Author: norm1153

Circa 1965, I was waiting to take a C&O RDC Budd back to Richmond, VA., I think from Newport News. In any event, it was destined to Richmond, VA. The engineer poked his head out, and asked me if I wanted to ride up front in the cab. I took him up on it, of course. This was at night. Somewhere just past Williamsburg, he opened it up. The speedometer needle made its stately way up to 100 mph and froze there. Looking out in front of us, we were going through a wide cut of trees, headlight path showing strong ahead of us. The Budd just seemed like it was floating. Steady as a rock, just the roar of the wind. When we pulled into the C&O station on Main Street, Richmond, I made my way back to disembark. The passengers were nonplussed, going about their business of packing up and deboarding. I just thought to myself, "boy, if you all knew..."
From what I've read here on TO, no way could the condition of the track today support such a smooth ride.

Date: 07/17/17 07:25
Author: BAB

P Wrote:
> Awesome! Those kids sure got a treat!

I find your answer very stupid as too many of you think that they are entitled to do whatever they want just because. Too many bad things can happen and for those of us which know danger and have worked around it no one can tell those who choose to put themselves or others in danger what may happen. I have worked around small and large aircraft, ran a wrecker and worked on heavy equipment so know those
dangers very well. Most of you on here never have that is why I said stupid and have the right to.

Date: 07/17/17 08:49
Author: winchester

Here comes the chain link fences.

Date: 07/17/17 09:08
Author: Hookdragkick

BigE Wrote:
> MY GOD! The horror!!!

EASY ONE TIME there, Colonel Kurtz... the motor wasn't in motion.
So they aren't supposed to be up there, but the parent was awesome enough to share a  true" 'Merica Moment " with his child instead of explaining why confused little boys can go potty in little girl restrooms now. 

Lighten up Big Dawg!

Date: 07/17/17 09:10
Author: Hookdragkick

BAB Wrote:
> P Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Awesome! Those kids sure got a treat!
>
> I find your answer very stupid as too many of
> you think that they are entitled to do whatever
> they want just because. Too many bad things can
> happen and for those of us which know danger and
> have worked around it no one can tell those who
> choose to put themselves or others in danger what
> may happen. I have worked around small and large
> aircraft, ran a wrecker and worked on heavy
> equipment so know those
> dangers very well. Most of you on here never have
> that is why I said stupid and have the right to.

Does BAB stand for Big Ass Baby?

Date: 07/17/17 11:28
Author: TCnR

It's good to see that the Dunsmuir Cam has such a broad audience and such social relevance with all of today's Network competition. The camera has been a lot of work but it looks like it's paying off.

The local authorities have been concerned with whoever provided 'an eyeful' to #11 the other night, and then there's the 'wheelbarrow man' roaming the south yard, climbing on locomotives during crew changes, rocking trains and being really stupid at Manfredi's. I guess it just shows our priorities.

... don't stop now...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/17 11:28 by TCnR.

Date: 07/17/17 14:35
Author: BigE

Hookdragkick Wrote:
> BigE Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > MY GOD! The horror!!!
>
> EASY ONE TIME there, Colonel Kurtz... the motor
> wasn't in motion.
> So they aren't supposed to be up there, but the
> parent was awesome enough to share a  true"
> 'Merica Moment " with his child instead of
> explaining why confused little boys can go potty
> in little girl restrooms now. 
>
> Lighten up Big Dawg!
>

I was being sarcastic.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0654 seconds